Is this what I should usually expect? (long, advice requested)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Their web site said that they included dive computers in the rental, but they weren't originally going to give us any.

Buy your own computer and regulator set. Then you will be used to the most important items of your kit.

The DM basically said, "Just stay with me".

Advice to be heeded.

I hadn't felt so rushed...I wouldn't have been trying to math and breathe and manage my buoyancy and not fall behind and not kick people on my first ocean dive.

Diving is techincal, involves technique, and doing all those things is part of it.

I did as thorough a once-over as I could with the rigged gear, which is good because my weights were on backwards and my secondary was hissing. I fixed my weights while they swapped out my regulator.

You must always be responsible for your own safety. Checks and double checks.

Nobody did buddy checks and by the time we got in the water, the DM had already started descending - I guess I was expecting people to do weight checks and to have to signal things like "ok to descend", but everybody just kinda dropped in and started swimming.

Pretty common.

The DM waited for us all close to the bottom and we all headed out in a clump - lots of traffic/congestion from everyone trying to stay close to the DM. Every time I'd start to feel comfortable, I'd kick someone, or they'd kick me, and I'd get concerned and start trying to get up or out of the way thinking I'd somehow lost control of my buoyancy and was kicking coral, but no, it was always a human. (This was better on the second dive of the day only because I decided the only way to get through it was to stay at the back of the group, far from the DM, which not only meant that I felt less safe but that everyone had scattered the wildlife away by the time I cruised past.) And we just kept moving - there was barely any time where I felt like I was able to actually relax and look around me; I spent almost the whole time on both dives just trying not to fall behind. What I did see was phenomenal and tantalizing and made me wish I was out there moving very slowly or not at all. I just wanted to watch everything move around me. Instead, I mostly watched a lot of fins and bubbles.

You should be able to get better with confidence in your swimming abilities to find space, take a few moments here and there to fall behind and smell the flowers, and then catch up. You really do have to stay with the group, but you do not have to go precisely everywhere they go. Find some space but make sure the DM can always see you.

If my dive computer was beeping occasionally while we were swimming along the bottom, was that probably because we were changing depths too quickly?

Possibly, but not necessarily "we". Your computer is on you only.

One of the other customers was literally bumping along the coral on her butt for long stretches.

Not everyone has good buoyancy skills, and some people are irresponsible. All you can do is try to be a good diver yourself.

Is this generally what I should expect from group dives? Is it normal to feel this rushed/hurried for your first few dives because you're thinking so much about everything?

Yes.

Is there a better way to do this...?

Get more experience. Choose dive ops carefully. Have realistic expectations when diving with a group. Go shore diving on Bonaire.

Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a little while and you seem like a helpful group, so I figured I'd jump in with a ridiculously long and probably boring essay about My First Recreational Dive and get some feedback :)

My dive buddy/husband and I were picked up and transported to the dive shop, which had a record that we were scheduled to dive, but had no information about the fact that we wanted to do a PADI adventure dive certification at the same time. I'd made those arrangements in advance via email with someone who, as far as I can tell, works for the main office and not for the particular location we were diving from. I'm American and this was in a country where English is the third language. They had no materials in English at the shop, so they photocopied some while we were out on our dive.
Stuff happens, I'm a newb to.

Their web site said that they included dive computers in the rental, but they weren't originally going to give us any. The DM basically said, "Just stay with me". One of the other divers (there were 5 of us, total, plus the DM) heard me saying that I wasn't comfortable with that and politely but forcefully semi-demanded computers for all of us. They handed them out - half of them were set to imperial and the others were metric (including mine). I can do enough conversion in my head to get by, so I was semi-ok with it, but if I hadn't felt so rushed I would have asked for help setting it to imperial so that I wouldn't have been trying to math and breathe and manage my buoyancy and not fall behind and not kick people on my first ocean dive.
Ok, we're talking about gear that our lives depend on. I'll use rental gear in a pool, but I'll only rent tanks when traveling. My gear is 100%, and I'm used to it. I'll never use rental junk again.

The pre-dive overview was a quick review of what we were likely to see, an explanation of how deep we would likely go, and since it was a drift dive, the main instruction was "stay with me", which seemed fine.

From there, everything seemed super-rushed. Nobody did buddy checks and by the time we got in the water, the DM had already started descending - I guess I was expecting people to do weight checks and to have to signal things like "ok to descend", but everybody just kinda dropped in and started swimming.
We do our buddy checks and gear setup far in advance of when we think the DM is going to have us dive. Usually it takes them a few minutes to get the boat in place. When it's go time, we suit up and go. Dropping straight down and swim in shallow bottoms.

The DM waited for us all close to the bottom and we all headed out in a clump - lots of traffic/congestion from everyone trying to stay close to the DM. Every time I'd start to feel comfortable, I'd kick someone, or they'd kick me, and I'd get concerned and start trying to get up or out of the way thinking I'd somehow lost control of my buoyancy and was kicking coral, but no, it was always a human.
I'm perfectly comfortable kicking people in the face. If they want to continue swimming into my fins, that's fine with me. I might kick a little harder, they seem to like it.

(This was better on the second dive of the day only because I decided the only way to get through it was to stay at the back of the group, far from the DM, which not only meant that I felt less safe but that everyone had scattered the wildlife away by the time I cruised past.) And we just kept moving - there was barely any time where I felt like I was able to actually relax and look around me; I spent almost the whole time on both dives just trying not to fall behind. What I did see was phenomenal and tantalizing and made me wish I was out there moving very slowly or not at all. I just wanted to watch everything move around me. Instead, I mostly watched a lot of fins and bubbles.
I try to spread out, but keep the DM in view. I usually find wildlife better than the DM, as far from the group as is safe. But I constantly keep an eye on the DM, the boat ain't going to leave without the DM. You'll have plenty of better dives, don't sweat it.

I'd gotten a BCD mount for my GoPro because I wanted to really just "set and forget", and not have to think about it during the dive. I'm really glad I did, because I noticed something while reviewing the footage... Although I was watching my dive computer on our actual ascents, I was only periodically looking at it while we swam, and I noticed several occasions when it was beeping while we were not really deliberately ascending - it was probably just semi-abrupt depth changes while staying about a meter from the ocean floor. I did not hear it beeping AT ALL in the moment, not even once, but it's very clear on the audio, probably 3 or 4 times. Aside from my general "Is this all normal?" question, I would really like to know if my interpretation here is correct. If my dive computer was beeping occasionally while we were swimming along the bottom, was that probably because we were changing depths too quickly?
I don't know, it's not my dive computer? That's why I have my own.

I am an ex-Girl Scout and the whole "take nothing but photos, leave nothing but bubbles" thing sounds pretty good to me :) but the DM kept picking up critters and encouraging others to do the same. At one point, he put a sea slug on his head like a mohawk and started draping it on other people. "Here, poke the clams and watch them panic and close!" It was kind of pissing me off.
Clams and sea slugs are usually dinner and die in a terrible fashion. Poking them to see them close is no big deal. He likely won't try wearing a tiger shark as a hat.

Plus, one of the other customers was literally bumping along the coral on her butt for long stretches. A) That had to hurt and B) shouldn't the DM have said something to her about that? First time - ok, that was probably an accident. Second time, hey, get it together lady. 4th, 5th time? I dunno, as far as I could tell, nobody ever said boo to her about it.
Some divers will just about crucify someone for that. Not normal.

Ok, dives done - everyone was super nice and enthusiastic and patient with my newbie questions and there was water and snacks and we all had fun.

We went back to the shop, where everybody rinsed gear and started packing up while those of us doing the adventure dive cert started reading the booklets and taking the tests. Everyone's copies of the booklet were missing different pages, but after some shuffling, we got as complete a copy as we could assemble... and then there were still questions on the test that weren't listed in the booklet AT ALL. Half of them were so poorly translated into English that we were relying on Latinate word roots to figure out what they meant. That was kind of fun, actually :wink: So, whatever. We all passed and they processed out certs really quickly - I think I got the confirmation email from PADI the same day. We tipped the DM appropriately, got dropped back off at our hotel, and then...
Get American training locally at home. I don't go to a 3rd world country to learn my trade. Plenty of people here, can help you with that.

While I really did think this was cool and had fun, I actually had a much better time kayaking to a coral reef and snorkeling at my leisure. I saw more critters and worried a whole lot less.

Comments, advice?

Some private training/diving sounds like a great idea until you get into the flow of things. But get your own gear that you'll have perfectly memorized and be used to operating. There is a HUGE difference between crap rental gear that's been slaughtered by newbs, and properly maintained personally owned gear. It's so much more fun that way. It gets better, way better.

I also have more fun snorkeling and kayaking. There's nothing wrong with that. Some times so much work is done to get diving, that it cuts into the fun time. But I am starting to have more and more fun with diving now that I'm getting used to it.

Being a newb is kinda fun, to overcome all of the beginner stuff, but it's a bit of a headache as well. I just try to remember that whenever I start a new hobby, that it's going to stink until I get good at it. Practice makes perfect. When I was a newb rider, I used to bounce off of rocks and trees at 35mph, and have the scars to prove it. That's far worse than anything I've experienced in diving so far.

laene-The skipper of the boat I was on recently covered it off really well.
"You are all qualified divers. Its YOUR job to ensure your dive is safe an enjoyable."
So you do what you need to do to be sure that's the case.
I could go on and on about this but that really covers it off well

Aren't all of the ratings for ALL dive ops on TripAdvisor 4.5 - 5? Best to look in hindsight and determine what you could have done differently to enjoy the dive, knowing that the next time you dive the circumstances may be completely different. As long as you know what you're doing, enjoy the dive.

To the OP, thanks for posting this. I got my OWC 6 months ago, and leave in a week for a cruise where I've booked dives in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. My certification dives were so much fun, and the dives we did later on that trip were great too. I have been concerned about what to expect on these next three dives, particularly feeling "herded" by a DM that is dragging us through a dive with not much concern for safety. My buddy got certified with me, and we plan to be very upfront with each DM that we are very new to this. On our certification trip we dove with more experienced friends, had no trouble keeping up, and felt very comfortable. I hope we have the same experience next week!

The DM is not there for your safety. You must assume that. Your advantage lies in taking a buddy you trust. Commit to each others safety and practice all the skills you have been taught. Get your own DSMB and learn how to use it safely. I'm sure any DM would be happy to demonstrate.

To the OP, thanks for posting this. I got my OWC 6 months ago, and leave in a week for a cruise where I've booked dives in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. My certification dives were so much fun, and the dives we did later on that trip were great too. I have been concerned about what to expect on these next three dives, particularly feeling "herded" by a DM that is dragging us through a dive with not much concern for safety. My buddy got certified with me, and we plan to be very upfront with each DM that we are very new to this. On our certification trip we dove with more experienced friends, had no trouble keeping up, and felt very comfortable. I hope we have the same experience next week!

My take on dive ops that cater to cruise ship passengers, and I hope others with more diving/traveling/cruising experience chime in here, is that the DMs tend to be more safety conscious. Just basing this off of the last two trips I've taken where I've dived with ops close to the cruise ship terminals, the op will probably check everyones c-card, and determine the sites to visit based on that. Never had so many air checks on dives before in my life. Your dive time may be limited to time instead of air in your tank unless you have a diver with you who runs low before everyone else: then for safely the DM may take you back closer to the boat, unless there are more dive guides that go down with the group.

On my last 2 trips, I've been with divers from cruise ships who have gotten sick and only did one of the 2 tank dives, kicked like a sprinter and had air last about 15 minutes, an AOW put their wetsuit on backwards, a boastful guy who told everyone about his great diving experiences, yet didn't use the correct amount of weight and couldn't stay down (so held onto coral to keep from rising), and another who thought it was a good idea to swim to me and signal that he wanted my camera so he could take a picture of me! DM's/extra guides took care of everything, except the camera deal!

You have the right idea to talk to the DM and explain your comfort level. Enjoy the trip!

, an AOW put their wetsuit on backwards, a boastful guy who told everyone about his great diving experiences, yet didn't use the correct amount of weight and couldn't stay down (so held onto coral to keep from rising), and another who thought it was a good idea to swim to me and signal that he wanted my camera so he could take a picture of me! DM's/extra guides took care of everything, except the camera deal!
If you don't have a buddy along, you can get stuck with one of these clowns!
Not your situation thankfully so enjoy the show and look after each other. The DM's might have their hands full!

My take on dive ops that cater to cruise ship passengers, and I hope others with more diving/traveling/cruising experience chime in here, is that the DMs tend to be more safety conscious. Just basing this off of the last two trips I've taken where I've dived with ops close to the cruise ship terminals, the op will probably check everyones c-card, and determine the sites to visit based on that. Never had so many air checks on dives before in my life. Your dive time may be limited to time instead of air in your tank unless you have a diver with you who runs low before everyone else: then for safely the DM may take you back closer to the boat, unless there are more dive guides that go down with the group.

On my last 2 trips, I've been with divers from cruise ships who have gotten sick and only did one of the 2 tank dives, kicked like a sprinter and had air last about 15 minutes, an AOW put their wetsuit on backwards, a boastful guy who told everyone about his great diving experiences, yet didn't use the correct amount of weight and couldn't stay down (so held onto coral to keep from rising), and another who thought it was a good idea to swim to me and signal that he wanted my camera so he could take a picture of me! DM's/extra guides took care of everything, except the camera deal!

You have the right idea to talk to the DM and explain your comfort level. Enjoy the trip!

My guess would be that cruise ships are probably more risk averse than a lot of pure dive businesses because they don't know it as well as their core business. Also I would guess the majority of cruise ship divers are probably occasional divers who could probably do with a good skill check/refresher.

Agree with the comment re the DM - explain your experience and comfort level. It should make things a lot easier in the long run than making assumptions.

The DM is not there for your safety. You must assume that. Your advantage lies in taking a buddy you trust. Commit to each others safety and practice all the skills you have been taught. Get your own DSMB and learn how to use it safely. I'm sure any DM would be happy to demonstrate.
Agree completely, and haven't followed the thread for a while. So, what do you do when you pay your $100US for the trip and the only buddy is one of these clowns, as you say (has rarely happened to me, but has happened). What is the answer?--Just go with it and trust you'll be OK yourself, you MAY be able to rescue the clown, or you may just wind up diving solo?
You can't "take a buddy you trust"if you are on the boat as a single diver. It happens all the time--with me and many others.

Back
Top Bottom