Is Truk Lagoon only for advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, good advice here, the deeper the better, you'll want to be comfortable to 130. It's a good place to have your gear set up for some variation of full redundancy. There is so much to see it seems everyone is always swimming off in different directions, buddy may not be there when needed; just a thought.

When we say warm water, what can one expect? I would think that water temp really effects deco dives.

A constant 82-84F in May. I wore swim trunks and a rash guard and was warm enough. A thin wetsuit would be a good idea for exposure protection. Without one, I wound up with a few scrapes. A current tetanus shot would be a good idea no matter what.

The penetrations are fairly straightforward with a guide. Cargo holds are generally easy in and easy out. As are most of the superstructures. Some of the engine rooms get pretty dark and narrow, like the Shinkoku's, but they are well worth the visit.

Last edited:
Cal,

Thanks! I have no illusions about being wreck capable. For me seeing and doing touch dives is sufficient really. I want to start working on my DIVCON, but there are changes coming at the LDS. but, I also want to be diving in my 90s! So I am a very cautious diver.

The water temps sound lovely to a Idaho lake diver. It would be like an invite to join Team Zissou! :dork2:

Last edited:
Some of the engine rooms get pretty dark and narrow, like the Shinkoku's, but they are well worth the visit.

If you think the Shinkoku's engine room is dark and narrow you should try the Kenso's machine shop.

Any way, you will get more out of truk if you have the following: Advanced open water and basic nitrox. A wreck certification will at least teach you where you shouldn't go. You should have excellent bouyancy skills regardless of certification level especially if you are a photographer.

To get the most out of Truk I would suggest advanced nitrox, decompression techniques and advanced wreck courses.

When I said "no touch" I meant that literally. I know that collecting is off limits but it seems that contact with some items is allowed?

Here pick up this mine, see what happens?? :idhitit:

What kind of tanks are available for rent, doubles?

When I said "no touch" I meant that literally. I know that collecting is off limits but it seems that contact with some items is allowed?

My friend came swimming past me once with a helmet on, that s**t cracked me up. But yeah, on some dives they have a few things gathered to show divers, gas masks, helmets, that kind of stuff, but generally unless it's this kind of "show and tell" when in the wrecks just leave everything where it is:wink:

Hi Cal .... nice avatar :D

Did the non-tech divers on your trip do all the dives on 30% or did they do the dives beyond 35 meters on air

Thanks

Venus

I spent a week on the Truk Odyssey in May. The maximum depth of my shallowest dive was 68 feet; my deepest was 171 feet. Most dives were in the 90-120 foot range at their deepest. I was in deco on eight of my 21 dives (although my Suunto is very conservative)

Venus on the Odyssey everyone gets 27-28% for all the dives which allows you to dive to 40m at a max PPO2 of 1.4. The only dive they drain and fill with air is for the SFO Maru which is at 50m.

They have AL80s, 119s, and doubled Al80s. If you are diving singles get a 119. (no clue what the measurements are in liters).

The best advice I can give anyone going is to understand your computer - if you see a screen you have never seen before you are probably in deco. That said - though my computer showed deco several times by the time I was doing my safety stop it had cleared. The only time it was truly a deco dive was on the SFO Maru. The key to diving the wreck is to go deep and see the artifacts then come up and look at the flora and fauna on the wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom