Isla Mujeres dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dan T - Did you like the Sailfish Run Tour? Is it hard to plan? I am assuming they don't know exactly when they will be around? Did you have success finding the sailfish? I'd love to do this sometime!
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Ellen

Yes, I like it & plan to repeat it next year. I saw 2 times during the one day tour. They are easy to spot, just look for flocking commorant near the sea surface around Isla Contoy, an hour boat ride from Isla Mujeres.

If you want to increase the chance of success, you need to give 2-3 day tour, in case the weather is not permitting in one out of the 3 days. Some people took the whole week trip for this tour. I just want to spend a long weekend, spending a day for Sailfish tour & a day for Cenote diving near Tulum.

We were lucky to spot them in the one day with 4-6' waves. Have no choice to go out at that day. One of us got seasick from the high waves, but after jumping into the water & seeing the Sailfish, pretty much paid off the seasick feeling.

It's interesting to see their behavior in rounding up the Sardine. The Sailfish were communicating with each other by flashing bright blue, red, purple colors on their silvery skin like disco lights or camillion.

They are so fast. You pretty much need to get your GoPro on & the video rolling before you jump into the water to catch the action. One time when I jumped into the water, the bail ball were gone. What I saw was the silvery Sardine fish scales just falling into the deep like watching rain drops from a window during rainy day. That's why I want to do it again so I can get a good video of them on the next trip. I couldn't get a chance to capture them on the video during the last trip.

I was just awed with what I saw. Never thought that Sailfish have so much color when they are alive & on the hunt for Sardine. Most of the time I saw the Sailfish were dead ones or those caught by fishermen with pale silvery & blue skin.

Check out this video:

Last edited:
Fabulous video! What time of year is best for viewing the sailfish? I simply must do this!!!
Thank you Dan T.

Bob,
Thank you so much for the information. I have been in contact with Bonnie via email and she got right back to me. There are also rooms to rent above the shop, which would work out well for our group! I will let Bonnie know that you recommended her.
Thanks again!
Ellen
Glad to be of help. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom