Isla Mujeres trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wanted to share our recent experience in Isla Mujeres.

we decided to go and try our luck with sailfish snorkeling the 2nd week of Jan. We organised it through Squalo Divers. Unfortunately the weather was not good half of the week so we only got to go out once. Squalo didn't have enough people so they put us on the boat from cancun run by Solo Buceo. We saw whalesharks, manta rays and mobile rays, but no luck with sailfish. Apparently it is 50% chance of seeing them per outing according to the guide so the real chance may be lower. We may try again in Feb. On the whole we enjoyed it. The sea wasn't too rough and the boat was nice and fast.

We also did some diving with Casa Buceo who were willing to go out earlier in the day around 7 - 7:30 and most of the time just took the two of us out. Diving in the south side around the wrecks was great with lots of eagle rays. We were told that the current can be quite strong at times and indeed the 2nd time we dove there some kicking was needed to get to the wreck. We dove near the shark hole which was uneventful other than spotting a longnose batfish which is our first time seeing it. The other highlight was the Lavandera reef which was beautiful unspoiled reef.

Overall we enjoyed our stay in Isla though felt like we exhausted diving potential during the 4 days we dived there. Casa Buceo was professionally run win good equipment - I rented the bcd which seemed very new - and valet service setting up and cleaning of the gear. It is out of town but that wasn't too much of a problem since the cabs are cheap.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go diving there again - Cozumel is hard to beat from convenience of diving and the variety and quality. But the eagle rays were pretty spectacular to watch. at one time there seem to be around 20+.

we will try the sailfish spotting again in the future but whether we combine it with cenotes and base ourselves in the mainland or try Isla again would be difficult to decide.

HJ:
Wanted to share our recent experience in Isla Mujeres.

we decided to go and try our luck with sailfish snorkeling the 2nd week of Jan. We organised it through Squalo Divers. Unfortunately the weather was not good half of the week so we only got to go out once. Squalo didn't have enough people so they put us on the boat from cancun run by Solo Buceo. We saw whalesharks, manta rays and mobile rays, but no luck with sailfish. Apparently it is 50% chance of seeing them per outing according to the guide so the real chance may be lower.

From my experiences that sounds very fishy to me. Since when do the whale shark area and the sail fish areas overlap?

Were you surrounded by fishing boats fishing for sail fish or were you surrounded with whale shark tour boats? If it's not the former I'm pretty sure you were had.

I think what they did was to first try for whale shark and the manta rays (which hang out closer to Isla) just so that the people get some sort of an experience before trying out for the sail fish. We did go out to where the fishing boats were, after the whale sharks. We had some kids on the boat (not ours...) so there would have been much unhappiness if we saw nothing!

We were told by the dive shop that the fishermen hadn't seen much sailfish either that week, so I think it's a way of the tour operator to manage their clients. I do think he did try. I think it's just one of those activities where you can be very lucky or unlucky.

That's good to hear! I'm familiar with Squalo and would have been a shame to learn they were chasing the money at your expense of having a good experience. I take it they were looking for and chasing birds? Looking for the birds to show them where the bait balls would be?

Yes - not enough birds were around unfortunately. What Andres said was that there are more sailfish in Jan but less birds, and vice versa in Feb.

I've never dived with Squalo but I really enjoy Casa del Buceo. They are a very classy operation. I've dove with them the last 3 years and am going back in October. Snorkeling with sail fish sounds really fun.

Just returned from Isla Mujeres and my group trip. We charter 5 days on the boat because the rate of finding sailfish is 35 - 50% even with the best and most experienced crew. You have to travel way out, which our private charter is willing to do because they do what we want within safety and time limits, but your average boat of one day guests might not enjoy the sometimes rough ride.
Anyway we had 3 great days and then a four ok day with rough weather and a 5th day called off because of wind. This is just how it is.

The operators use up loads of petrol going out and back so it is not dodgy to transfer you to another boat if they are not full.
Sorry you did not see sailfish, but it is very difficult to find them and one day is not enough to guarantee a sighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom