Isle Royale fatality - Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems they were diving to a wreck at 270 ft: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/272499/The Kamloops today

Man dies during Isle Royale diving expedition
A 55-year-old Wyoming, Minn., man died Saturday after suffering problems while scuba diving off Isle Royale National Park, the National Park Service reported today.
Lloyd W. Krohn was pronounced dead at the scene by park ranger emergency medical technicians.
An autopsy is under way by the Keweenaw County, Mich., Medical Examiner’s Office to determine the cause of death.
According to the Park Service, Krohn was part of a charter group diving with the charter Lake Superior Diver at the shipwreck of the Kamloops near Isle Royale.
At about 10 a.m. Saturday, his diving partners noticed Krohn was experiencing difficulties. They attempted to assist him but were forced to send him to the surface alone after he became unconscious. He was spotted by the boat crew and was brought aboard unresponsive and not breathing. Park rangers responded to the incident after receiving a distress call on marine band radio.
Park Superintendent Phyllis Green has temporarily closed the Kamloops to diving.
“We are deeply saddened by this scuba accident” Green said in a statement. “Divers understand the risks involved in diving at such extreme depths, but accidents can happen. We will do a thorough examination of the accident and review operations at the site before opening it to further recreational diving.”
The Kamloops is considered an expert dive due to the depths involved. Most of the wreck, located approximately 300 feet from the north shore of Isle Royale near Todd Harbor, lies below 200 feet. The ship, a 250-foot Canadian package freighter, went down in a severe storm in December 1927. The location of the shipwreck was unknown until sport divers located it in 1977.
Isle Royale is located about 10 miles off Grand Portage on Minnesota’s North Shore but technically is part of Michigan.

sad news for all the diving community...

It seems the other divers had deco obligations expected on that dive and had to send the unconscious diver up alone on a buoyant ascent for discovery.

Standard procedure for that type of dive. No reason to close the site though.
I respectfully disagree.

Generally, sending a victim on a bouyant, unaccompanied ascent is a death sentence.

All the best, James

the first rule of rescue is don't become a victim yourself. If they had a 2 hour deco obligation, taking him to the surface would have been risking their own lives, Past experience shows that such an ascent would result in explosive decompression and that is very hard to get under control by descending and doing in-water decompression. Moreover, if the victim (may he RIP and condolences to his family) also had a 2 hour decompression obligation, what they did is probably the only thing that could have been done.

I do not know if this team was diving OC or RB.

Also I can't find any reference to a 2 hour obligation....can someone point me to this (obviously more detailed) account? If this was OC, I'm having issues coming up with a scenario requiring more than an hour of deco even for double 130's.

Assuming this was, indeed, OC:

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of sending someone to the surface just because your obligated. Rescue from depth isn't that hard, we practice it occasionally, and you at least give the victim a dry reg and airway to go with the deco you do.

I would do everything in my power to save my buddy...I'd certainly be willing to trim my deco by quite a lot to give my buddy a fighting chance, and the folks I dive with are all of the same mind. Bent is something you can fix. Embolized or drowned is permanant.

All the best, James

Keep in mind the fact that most initial news reports contain very little accurate information.

Keep in mind the fact that most initial news reports contain very little accurate information.

True that.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom