ISO Advice on New Set Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nubiesan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After using a canon A 620 for several years, I am ready to move on to a new set up. I currently own a fanta sea tray and strobe set up which I would like to keep.

I don't want to spend a fortune -- any suggestions that would use the strobe and stay under $500?

How about the G9?

Or a newer A series with the newer chip?

What do you feel you are missing with the A620 that is making you want to move on?

$500 is a pretty limiting budget when it comes to upgrading from what you have so I think mostly you are going to be looking at simply getting some newer technology which should be a little faster and have slightly cleaner files.

You might also want to look in to adding wet mate lenses for your current set up or saving a bit more and adding a second strobe. Adding a second strobe will really open up your creative possibilities and if you choose wisely (I'd go Inon or Ike or Sea&Sea), the strobe will move with you to a more complex system later, should you decide to do that.

How about the G9?

Or a newer A series with the newer chip?

What do you feel you are missing with the A620 that is making you want to move on?

$500 is a pretty limiting budget when it comes to upgrading from what you have so I think mostly you are going to be looking at simply getting some newer technology which should be a little faster and have slightly cleaner files.

You might also want to look in to adding wet mate lenses for your current set up or saving a bit more and adding a second strobe. Adding a second strobe will really open up your creative possibilities and if you choose wisely (I'd go Inon or Ike or Sea&Sea), the strobe will move with you to a more complex system later, should you decide to do that.

yep what Alcina said for 500 you are just buying the newer version of what you have. pick some accessory like WA or macro or Strobe and buy that. if you pick right you should be able to carry that accessory on to your next camera. now if you wan to spend 700-800 then that opens things up more..

Kerry

Hi
The A620 has gone to camera heaven, so it needs to be replaced.

I had a canon housing, but don't like it, so am leery of another canon for the G9.

I like the G9, but worry about the strobe I have with an ikelite housing. So, it comes down to balancing how best to allocate resources here.

Hi
The A620 has gone to camera heaven, so it needs to be replaced.

I had a canon housing, but don't like it, so am leery of another canon for the G9.

I like the G9, but worry about the strobe I have with an ikelite housing. So, it comes down to balancing how best to allocate resources here.

Ahh Ok that makes more sense... I only know one person who had the Fantasea strobe and they were not too thrilled with it, I can't remember much about it but if it is optically triggered and can handle a preflash I don't see why it would not work with a G9. Bu there is really no way you are getting a G9 and and Ikelite housing for under 500.00 I doubt you could get a G9 and a Canon housing for that price. A quick check shows it's getting tougher to find a G9 for sale outside of e-bay.. for your budget you are looking at a decent Powershot and a Canon housing I think. Note sure about other camera makers maybe Olympus has an option???

Kerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom