ISO Kihei Dive Op - Molokini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry for another post on this subject... but I can't remember the recommendation for my specifics:

I'm looking to dive the outer wall of Molokini (conditions allowing, of course!) as a two tank AM, and have the following preferences:

- Op caters to location requests (conditions allowing of course!)
- Smaller boats (ok, I think they're all the same size probably)
- Doesn't cater to beginners (would love experienced/advanced only, but probably can't have that I'll guess)
- Maybe one shop's boat goes before the others?

In many past years, I always did Ed Robinson's Friday (more advanced day) choice, but the attitude of some of the staff (you know them) has just got me thinking I should try someone else. Is another op recommended that will try to work with requests (outer wall) and not be a cattle car experience?

Thx!

I prefer Ed Robinson's personally, but if you'd rather look elsewhere, give Mike Severns Diving a look. They will do the back wall if there are enough divers on board who want to do it. They are usually the first boat out at Molokini in the mornings. They do tend to cater less to the advanced diver, but I wouldn't say they focus on beginners only. There is usually a good mix of divers on most trips in my experience. They are a solid outfit and highly recommended.

Frankly IMO if you want an advanced charter your only choice is the 3-tank charter Ed Robinson’s does on Tuesdays. They always do the backwall for at least one of the tanks (weather permitting) and always listen to the preferences of their customers.

I’m at a loss for who you’re referring to when you mention the attitude of the staff, but I’ve always found them to be friendly and helpful, particularly when divers are friendly with them.

Not in need of an advanced charter, just want to avoid a program that caters to beginners (least common denominator). That Tuesday program is good, exactly the type of dives I like, for sure. I agree it's likely my best option, thanks for the reply.

I'll give you an example of what I didn't like in a recent Ed Robinson dive. We did Red Hill as a second dive. The dive op went too slow (sure, there was stuff to see, nudibranchs and frog fish, very cool of course, and none of the group made it to the cave. The other group told us all about how great the cave was with the two white tips and turtles. Now, I've shore dove that cave, and yes frog fish is one of the coolest things to see... but if the dive plan is to end at the cave and it's easily done with conditions, I don't want the leader to just decide to spend "too much time" on each coral bomb en-route. Plan the dive and dive the plan (as conditions merit of course).

IME, you're going to get beginners with any dive op on Maui. Maui is a popular tourist destination, not a "diving destination" like Bonaire for example. The better ops will split groups by skill level, allowing for a better dive. Both Mike Severns and Ed Robinson's follow this practice.

Unless you're chartering the whole boat, you're going to be at the mercy of whoever else is interested in diving that day. I've found that going with an attitude of, "let's see what's the best stuff the DM can help us find today" will leave you much more satisfied than, "I have to see X."

I just got back from a group charter on Mike Severns. We had the whole boat and let them make the call on where to go. We got to see some great stuff, endemic critters that we would've never found on our own. They're a top notch operation. We were the first divers in the water, but there were boats a'plenty by the time we got back to the surface. Would definitely book with them on a return trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom