ISO settings on PEN cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nudibranco

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tavolara marine park - Coda Cavallo - Sardinia -
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Since the general recommended ISO setting for the Pen cameras is 200 I never change this doing Macro shots.

However after reading this article:
Behind the scenes: extended highlights!: Digital Photography Review
I think I am going to switch ISO to 100.

The flash will work stronger in most cases to match the subject with the right lighting/exposure and the background will be slightly darker (which for me in most Macro settings I prefer).

This is of course when you use Manual mode setting on the camera which is the optimal way for UW shooting.

What do you think?

Another parameter I found to be at default and it is not recommended is the GRADATION setting:
set to AUTO in default seems to create color shifts and noise. The recommended setting is OFF or STANDARD.
:troll:

Which PEN camera are you using that allows an ISO setting of 100?
I own and regularly use the EPL-2 and it will only allow a minimum of ISO 200

Likewise my E-PL3; lowest is 200.

Thanks for the info. . .makes you wonder why Olympus would only offer 200 as the minimum if the had 100 available in the first place?
I didn't think there were any major changes to the sensor in the upgrade just tweaks to the auto focus etc., ???

Actually e-pl1 allows iso 100, later models do not

I think the reason was the maximum shutter speed. On e-pl1 it was rather low so they allowed iso 100. On the later models max shutter speed was increased and iso 100 gone. But that is my opinion of course:)

good info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom