Isolation valves or full independent Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

look at the Dive Rite Rec Wing, it is designed to be used wtih singles or doubles, it doesn't work so well with singles, and unless you have narrow doubles *lp45's/50's etc*, it doesn't work particularly well for most doubles.
The Hollis SMS100 does an abysmal job at backmount because the wing is under the plate, the Nomad does quite a bit better, but it still isn't quite as stable as a hard backplate, but at the same time the stock Nomad and SMS100's are really not all that good for sidemount, the SMS100 is actually pretty horrible at sidemount out of the box, and the Nomad XT isn't much better.

The Nomad is the only rig that actually has the potential to really do sidemount and backmount halfway efficiently, but you really need to have a dedicated backmount rig if you are wanting to dive backmount doubles. Either of them will do ok for single tank diving, but for doubles the SMS100 is horrible, and the Nomad isn't much better *bad design is part of it, but more importantly with the SMS100 the lift is at the hips and tends to tip you forward where you actually need the lift at the top of the wing for doubles.

it's expensive, but it will work. Personally I wouldn't bother with anything but Deep Sea Supply right now though unless you're on a super tight budget. Tobin should be able to export to you pretty inexpensively.

Any Experiences with the Apeks backmount gear Tbone ?

The slots for the webbing are relatively wide and the tri-glides seem to slip through them. Can't recommend the plates, at least. No experience with the wings.

Lost you there AJ, I have less than 49 dives and a lot to learn :D, what you mean with tri-glides ???

are you referring to the WTX harness right?

Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - Displaying items by tag: apeks bcds

---------- Post added April 20th, 2015 at 06:48 PM ----------

it's expensive, but it will work. Personally I wouldn't bother with anything but Deep Sea Supply right now though unless you're on a super tight budget. Tobin should be able to export to you pretty inexpensively.

I can get them at the same price as the Agualung website here in Curacao, in order for me to get them cheaper that means I will need to be in the US, if I buy online, with shipment and taxes I believe it makes it more expensive than buying them in the Island, plus it is sometimes good to support the local economy if the price difference is not to big.

There is a ScubaPro dealer on the Island but a bit high price.

Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Harness System 23.806.000

By the time I get the ScubaPro ordered online to the Island it will be more expensive than the WTX from Apeks,

Last edited:
Lost you there AJ, I have less than 49 dives and a lot to learn :D, what you mean with tri-glides ???

are you referring to the WTX harness right?

Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - Displaying items by tag: apeks bcds

One of these doodads:
https://www.extreme-exposure.com/product/715

Holds the webbing in place on a one piece harness. I don't know about their fancy harness and I can't recommend anything over a simple one piece. Buckles, clips, extra d-rings, pivot points, velcro and pads aren't something I'm interested in.

In sidemount you have access to ALL of your gas even in the event of a regulator free flow. Since the tank valves are pretty much at your armpits you can "feather" the offending valve and continue to access the gas in that tank.

the only way you would be able to say that accurately is if you can comfortably bare tank breathe, something most people don't know how, nor should really try to do...

I think the idea of "Jack of all trades, master of none" is an odd statement. Life would suck medically, if all you had access to was a surgeon and a radiologist. Most people, most of the time, need a GP.

To me, the isolation manifold BM double rig is the technical generalist's tool of choice. It serves most functions well. But in the technical realm it really sits in the middle of the spectrum. If you want to progress into more restricted penetrations you would probably specialize with SM. If you wanted more range, you would specialize with RB. If you wanted more flexibility, for travel or modification, you might choose ID's.

The problem of course, just like medicine, is that everyone argues from the perspective of their own profession. Natural I suppose as they have chosen that direction because they see the benefits and they have invested in it. Surgeons always want to cut it out, radiologists always want to cook it.

The only problem I see with going too far down the path of specialization too fast is that you lose the ability to see other solutions and you can't imagine anyone being able to do anything unless they specialize. Most dives can be done with most tools, if the diver uses their heads and understands their limitations and a "jack of all trades" can see that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom