Isotherm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JcoldwaterIL

Reaction score
A few feet from the beaches of lake Michigan
I'm shopping for a new wetsuit and I'm looking at the isotherm at the moment and I have some sizing questions. I'm a rather large guy and have trouble fitting into most stock sizes so my first question is wether or not custom cut suits are available. Ive seen several size charts online for Mares wetsuits but they all seem to be very different and theres no official chart listed on the Mares website. My second question is what size suit would you reccomend for theese measurements -

Neck 17"
Chest 46"
Waist 43" (not sure how i fit into a 36 waist on my jeans with 43 on the tape)
Hips 43"
Inseam 34"

I'm 6'6 and weigh 280 lbs. Most suits i try on are 2-3x but the problem I have is 2x are usually way too tight in the shoulder area, and 3x are usually too loose in the belly area. Is the isotherm a slim cut? (I'm still trying to figure out why 3x in sporting goods are normally designed for fat guys instead of tall athletic guys).

The Isotherm does not come in a custom cut nor a 3x. We do have a general chart, but the problem is on different styles, the fit/cut may be slightly different due to different patterns and material types. Always best to try on each model suit.

Your measurements are at the high end of 2X for height, but the chest is fine. I think your waist measurement is wrong, 43 with 43 hips does not sound correct. If you are 36 waist then I think the 2X should work, but I do reccomend trying it on.

I can't answer for the entire sporting goods industry, but it may be a reflection on the shape of many large people today vs. those with athletic shapes.

Let me know if we can help further

Phil

when you say I'm on the high end for height..are you referring my inseam, or my torso? I can deal with the legs being an inch or 2 shorter then normal and probably counter this problem with some extra high booties. The torso on the other hand is a different sory...having the suit squeezing my crotch when i get the top onto my shoulders is another story.

In the torso, which is why I reccomend you try it on to make sure it works. Your not out of the range which is 6'6", but your at the end of the range.

Phil

Phil....The problem with asking for the waist size with men is the dunlop factor. If the belly don lops over the belt then he is correct with the 43 measurement. A total girth measurement vs a pant size.

Dectek,

Sadly, you are correct with many men. But in this case he did say he was tall with an athletic build.

Phil

On the same subject Phil, I am having a TOUGH time getting a proper fit from a shortie. Most of my height (6 ft) is in my torso and even though an XXL suit fits my chest and waist it feels like it is making me bend over. IOW, the pressure on my shoulders and crotch is considerable. Any solutions?

Pete,

The best advice I can give for a Shortie is to try on many different brands (try Mares first :) ) as each brand may have a different cut. Another option could be our Trilastic Deluxe 3.2.2, it is new and has a great fit with stretch material only in the key areas where needed. If it fits properly you could then have the sleeves and legs trimed and hemmed to your desired length.

If you want to try one, drop me a note and I can send you one to try.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom