Issue with E-PL3 and new +5 diopter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I tried to use a new +5 diopter with my E-PL3 with the kit 14-42mm lens diving this weekend but the camera was having a bitch of a time locking focus when completely zoomed in, which means I have to back off a bit, which seems to defeat the purpose. I could change the camera setting so it will take a shot with out without the lock, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions

Following as interested.
What make of Diopter?
Wet or Dry?

I tried to use a new +5 diopter with my E-PL3 with the kit 14-42mm lens diving this weekend but the camera was having a bitch of a time locking focus when completely zoomed in, which means I have to back off a bit, which seems to defeat the purpose. I could change the camera setting so it will take a shot with out without the lock, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions
I use a Dyron +7 with my E-PL2 and focusing is a PITA with focus lock on or off. I end up just taking multiple shots just rocking my housing back and forth and a few end up in focus........

I use a Dyron +7 with my E-PL2 and focusing is a PITA with focus lock on or off. I end up just taking multiple shots just rocking my housing back and forth and a few end up in focus........

I also use a Dyron +7 with E-PL2 and focusing has not been a issue for me, assuming neither the camera or subject are moving much. Strange.

I also use a Dyron +7 with E-PL2 and focusing has not been a issue for me, assuming neither the camera or subject are moving much. Strange.

How are you set up when shooting? Fully zoomed in to 42mm along with the macro? Which version of the 14-42 lens?

Maybe you should consider going to manual focusing. Set your focus at the distance/size you want, then move in or out to get the shot you want. That would remove one variable for you and the camera.

Is there a macro setting for your camera? Even if you don't have a macro lens, some cameras can alter the range of adjustment they will make automatically.

Finally is there an accessory lens setting?

Maybe you should consider going to manual focusing. Set your focus at the distance/size you want, then move in or out to get the shot you want. That would remove one variable for you and the camera.
Not an option.

Is there a macro setting for your camera? Even if you don't have a macro lens, some cameras can alter the range of adjustment they will make automatically.

Finally is there an accessory lens setting?

Again, the problem is the focus keeps hunting with the macro lens on. Since there are obviously Pen camera owners using macro lens adapters here, I would like to know what people are doing to address this, other than backing off on the zoom, which as I said, defeats the purpose of the additional magnification of the macro lens.

Have you tried a focus light?
Is it worse in low light situations?
By adding a diopter you are significantly reducing the total amount of light available for focusing. You are focusing on a very very small area and the diopter absorbs some light.
Maybe thats the difference.

Back
Top Bottom