Issue with securing 7ft long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the information I found, the Apeks stick is 6 inches (150 mm) long. If you like the "stick" solution, make one yourself from plastic pipe, any length you wish. Halcyon also makes a stick like this, but I cannot find specifications listing the length.

If a 6-in. stick is not working for you, maybe the problem is not the stick but something else?
The Halcyon stick is longer than the Apeks. I just measured the Halcyon and it is 7 inches. It works very well.

To the OP, are you securing the stick with a second buckle? Also, try securing the stick further back toward the plate.

As Ron implies, many technical divers do an S-drill or modified S-drill before every dive. Many do it at least occasionally. This practice would eliminate that.
I hadn't thought of that. Makes perfect sense. Well then I'll stick with tucking it in my waist belt.

The Halcyon stick is longer than the Apeks. I just measured the Halcyon and it is 7 inches. It works very well.

To the OP, are you securing the stick with a second buckle? Also, try securing the stick further back toward the plate.
I just sold my Halcyon stick. I found it was not long enough for me to keep my long hose secure. Might be due to using the end turret port on my mk25. I'm now just tucking it without issue.

I just sold my Halcyon stick. I found it was not long enough for me to keep my long hose secure. Might be due to using the end turret port on my mk25. I'm now just tucking it without issue.
Haha, I think I saw that sale on eBay. I also use the 5th port. I found putting the stick back close to the plate and looping the hose locks it against my hip. It hasn't come loose yet. I didn't like tucking it in the harness but if that is what works it is a simple solution.

If the stock isn’t long enough, how about this dive knife. You’ll be one of the secret society.

Throwing it out there. Are you by chance using a braided miflex style hose?
Nope. Good ole rubber.
Why does Switzerland hate plastic? What do you use for domestic plumbing lines?
Switzerland doesn't hate plastic. They just hate things that are normally priced. As I mentioned. QC fittings at McMaster cost you guys like a few bucks each. Here (if you can even find them), they cost 10-20. Buying a piece of plastic suitable for what I need would probably cost me like 20 USD. Plus I'd still need to buy a saw/dremel/something to cut a hole.
I don't get it, after many years of diving with a 7' rubber longhose, a properly adjusted waist strap and either a wetsuit or neoprene pocket shorts, I have never had the hose come out from the waistband?? I bought one of those hose retainer sticks years ago but have never needed it or used it. And being GUE trained I ALWAYS do an S drill as soon as I splash, instinct now, back mount or side mount.
just my $0.02c
I don't get it either, hence making this thread.

I've put a triglide on to stop it moving towards the waist buckle. The stick sits around 10cm from the plate.

I'll have a look at the 3d-printed option. A friend just bought a printer so that might be another option.

I also tuck my long hose into my waist band strap - it rarely comes out. I keep my waist band strap very snug.

There seems to be a parallel thread on this subject that was recently resurrected. I posted this on the other thread, but I will post it here as well. Sorry if anyone gets offended.

I tuck it into my waist band, then my finger spool with bolt snap is clipped to my right hand waist d ring.
And is goes through the loop of hose under the waist belt.

Its locked in place and can't get free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom