Issues with Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w84me2dive

Reaction score
I'm a newbie diver and am having issues equalizing I just bought my own equipment so I could work on my weight issues (down to 26lbs:D ). Thanks for all your tips and suggestions!

This last weekend was my first boat dive and I admit I was nervous, as I hadn't gone that deep before or off a boat. I've had some issues with equalizing since I started diving so my sister gives me benadryl the night before. It hadn't been THAT much of an issue before because I hadn't gone that deep.

We were going down 60ft off a boat down a line and I didn't feel congested or anything. I cleared my ears at the surface and went down hand over hand, equalizing each time I moved my hand. I tried swallowing, blowing through my nose and wiggling my fingers in my ears, but it took me forever to clear. It seems I couldn't go down a couple ft without having to equalize and around 15 minutes to get down to the bottom. This time I made sure I equalized before I felt the intense pressure but it took me quite a while before I was able to clear.
I'm off to Mexico on Tuesday and have the option of getting my AOW (for an extra $60). But since I live here, I think I should get it in Monterey as that's where I dive.
But after diving in Hawaii and Monterey, I believe I would really earn my AOW if I did it in Monterey!!

Every one had great suggestion for my bouyancy issues that really made a difference.
I'm hoping there is some secret for equalizing that I'm missing..

Thanks
Susan

Susan-

I hope you have better luck, here are some things that Ive learned,

Clear you ears early and often, dont even wait to feel pressure to start clearing. It sounds like you have tried that.

So.... I think the biggest issue is relaxing, when your tense the muscles in your neck will may it hard to clear, try rolling your next back in forth trying to stretch your neck. This will become much easier as you become more experienced.

Also try sudafed or other decongestiant that could also help, when your worried just remember if you can fly, you can dive

Jumbo

I also have a little trouble clearing. I've learned to turn my neck so the "problem" ear is up and sometimes that does the trick.

1 pill Max Strength Sudafed a couple hours before the dive.
1 more pill about half an hour before the dive.
Works wonders!

It used to be really really really hard for me to equalize when I started diving, especially when I was younger. I started at 13 years old, so I think that was part of the problem. A dive instructor recommended the Sudafed. I tried the regular dose (2 pills) of normal Sudafed, and couldn't really notice any help. Then i tried the max strength and I could feel my ears opening up and equalizing from just swallowing, before getting in the water. Once in the water I could descend with the rest of the divers, as my ears would just keep clearing themselves as I swallowed, and occaisonally had to valsalvo. Before, without the sudafed, after about 15 feet I'd have to descend ridiculously slowly, 1 foot after the other, holding my nose for the whole descent, and having to valsalvo about every other breath. The sudafed made my diving so much more enjoyable.

Austin

I noticed in your post you said you went down "hand over hand". I am wondering if you really mean that. Were you going down head first? If so, I would suggest trying to decend feet first. I have an aweful time with my ears and I cannot clear them at all if I am inverted like that.

Unfortunately some people do not have the ears for diving. Most people manage, some few never have a problem and never even need to clear. Sometimes being cold makes it diffucult, warmer water helps. Do you prqctice clearing your ears on the surface, when at the office, when at class, when watching TV, when walking the dogs--over and over. It really does help to "work your ears out". Before a dive trip I start working my ears seriously a few weeks before. Of course, if you have a flu or cold or a sinus attack--which happens your out of luck. I caught the flu in Cozumel once, no diving but I got an awesome tan laying in the sun at the pool while my frineds went diving without me. N

Hi Susan!

I also had trouble equalizing, but it gets easier when I dive often..I guess, I get to practice how to equalize and get my bouyancy right...Since diving is a skill, I think practice makes its all better...And remember to always relax and just enjoy your dive!

Have fun! eyebrow

-lai-

w84me2dive:
I'm a newbie diver and am having issues equalizing.
I'm hoping there is some secret for equalizing that I'm missing..
Thanks
Susan

Sorry to to say but there's no actual secret equalizing ears. I have same problem time to time and especially when had a couple of weeks "surface time". When worst only taking reg out of my mouth and "yarning", opening my mouth wide open, is the only thing that helps, and I can tell you it's not very convenient way to equalize near freezing temps. However had some thumbup dives bcs equalizing problems. Once getting my ears to work properly they do as long as I dive at least a couple of dives a week..
Best luck and patience with equalizing.

I notice any time I take Benadryl (I don't use it when diving) as soon as the medication wears off my sinuses are in worse shape than they were before I took the medication. Benadryl "rebounds" really bad in my system and that might be happening to you. I use the 24-Hour Sudafed (not the PE) when I'm diving and have equalizing issues, I usually take it when I get up the morning of the dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

A DM in NC taught me this trick. When doing the valsalva, breath in first, with your nose pinched and mouth closed, and this creates a vacuum and makes it easier to clear. It works pretty good for me most of the time.
My ENT also told me to use Sudafed. I have to find this 24 hour stuff.

Back
Top Bottom