Issues with one of the local shops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been diving since 2011 and there are three stores in my area. One store has me a little concerned about their approach to scuba diving. While they have the nicest looking store in town and their training is very good, they are very pushy and a little rude to some people, when it comes to selling scuba gear. The store is owned by a couple, one of them is very nice and very knowledgeable, though he might give the store away. The other focus on more of running the business and the sales. While I like small businesses and having owned one, I do have a good understanding of it. I am trying to figure out how to approach the owner I like about the high pressure sales, it is not helping the diving community. It seems like every new diver goes to their shop for their open water and their gear. There store is in the middle of town and looks very nice. After that people tend to be less of a return customer and go with one of the other shops as the are more laid back, a little cheaper, and a lot less pushy. My biggest concern is they scare people away from the sport as you need a $90 knife, "or you will die" mentality, when a $3 surgical shears would be better in most cases. Some people I know spent about $1k-$2k only to give up the sport as they think it is to expensive. They even refrain from telling any divers about the local scuba club as they are worried it might reduce people that go on their trips, which are a lot more expensive than the club trips. They only do a few dive trips and they have limited spots. There are also a lot more opportunities to dive with the club. Which in turn can mean more sales, air, and training for the shops. I like having 3 shops, I have spent money at all of them, it is nice for people not to have to drive far for air.

i wish you had a better understanding of paragraphs

It is up to the store how they want to run their business. In my experience, shops that treat their clients like "divers" rather than "wallets", tend to be more successful. If I can go into a dive shop and just hang out, then i don't give them any business.

In my experience, shops that treat their clients like "divers" rather than "wallets", tend to be more successful.
If I can go into a dive shop and just hang out, then i don't give them any business.

I'm confused: these two statements seem mutually exclusive. Should the can in the second statement actually be a can't?

I'm confused: these two statements seem mutually exclusive. Should the can in the second statement actually be a can't?
I'm pretty sure he meant to type that if he "Can't" just hang out at the dive shop then he isn't interested in being a customer.

Upstate NY has such a small window of diving season and such a small market, you have to expect this.... I've been seeing this for 25 years.... Hasn't changed much.

One of the LDS's had been in business for almost 25 years. The owner sold it a year ago and the new owner is chasing customers away with his nasty attitude and unfriendliness. Some people are better off in the back room, away from the customers, but you can't tell that to an owner.

One of the LDS's had been in business for almost 25 years. The owner sold it a year ago and the new owner is chasing customers away with his nasty attitude and unfriendliness. Some people are better off in the back room, away from the customers, but you can't tell that to an owner.

Sure you can, easier on you if there is another Dive Shop in the area.

Bob
--------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

The owner sold it a year ago and the new owner is chasing customers away with his nasty attitude and unfriendliness. Some people are better off in the back room, away from the customers, but you can't tell that to an owner.
I agree with Bob - sure you can. Go into the shop, on the pretense of buying something you need, and if he treats you like that (nasty attitude and unfriendliness), simply tell him -'I think you are an obnoxious @#$%, and I am taking my business elsewhere.'

If enough customers walk, the shop becomes unprofitable and is either sold again, or goes out of business. Either way, everyone is better off than allowing some jerk to somehow profit from being a jerk. I also disagree with another part of the statement - some people are not 'better off in the back room'. They are better off in the unemployment line. Maybe they will learn something from the humbling experience- doubtful, but possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom