It is NOT the Gulf Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Toorish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Personally, I object to calling the disaster in the Gulf of Mexico the "Gulf Oil Spill." BP's PR flacks have spent a lot of time and effort to brand the spill the Gulf Oil Spill so BP would not be forever tarnished with this mega-disaster.

When the Exxon Valdez ran aground on Bligh Reef and cracked open, spilling all tha oil into Alaska's waters, we didn't call it the "Prince William Sound Spill," we appropriately called it the Exxon Valdez Spill, reminding everyone forever of Exxon's role in that disaster.

I call the current environmental catastrophe the BP Oil Spill, and always will.

As divers, we want to remind the world at every turn it was BP that caused this.

The BP Oil Spill.

Jeff

Good point, Jeff. Also, I had a friend say that "spill" was misleading. He said knocking over your cup of coffee is a "spill". This is a "hemorrhage"!!!!

Doug

You are so right about that. That makes alot more sense than a boycot. when you ingrain that into a person they turn away from a BP gas station with out even thinking about it.
it could become an involentary reflex just like a heart beat

Boycot against BP gas stations sounds so wrong-I suspect the only persons hurt would be the small business owner. BP has billions in assets-Unless you stop using oil altogether you will not be able to boycot them effectively.

While I have no feelings of fondness toward BP, let's not think that they have behaved in a way much different to how the other big oil players would have. Deny, downplay then dodge and duck the responsibility... Just like any other sociopath.

Surely there's way too much history of this occurring without true punishment to think the real problem is whichever company has had the accident?

What is allowed to occur through slack regulation and governance is the real problem here.

As long as companies are allowed to base decisions solely on monetary rather than moral bottom lines the next example of this is just round the corner.

IMHO...:)

I actually think BP have done a pretty good job of standing up and being counted. They have unambiguously taken responsibility for the spill, said they will pay all legitimate claims (and stood by it so far), and are working ceaselessly to plug the leak. No one has come up with any sensible criticism of what they have failed to do so far in terms of the disaster. Everyone acknowledges that the technical difficulies are enormous.

There is no such thing as a good oil spill, but evaluate their actions fairly. They have not in any sense tried to duck their responsibilities.

I think that ever since Alan Rickman's performance in Die Hard, the American media love the idea of the Brit as a bad guy. Got to give the paying audience what they want.

(One other small point - I think it most common name used for it is the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, in keeping with previous naming convention - like the Exxon Valdiz oil spill).

Correct. The blame goes much 'deeper' than BP. Why are these companies being allowed to drill a MILE down? At those depths, what can you do?

What you call it doesn't make any damn difference.

Too much talk trying to "name" stuff, or cover backsides, all meaningless. This is beyond PR, and beyond spin. I'm tired of press conferences and Cabinet Secretary (rotating, Napolitano, Salazar, Browner) and Presidential visits venting hot air and talking-point sound bites, in an attempt to appear "hands-on" with hands that don't know what to do.

The only decisive action by the Administration has been to shut down all wells deeper than 500 feet (meaning 80 percent of the production in the Gulf). Thanks a lot for that one, it will cost us about 20,000 jobs here. Please don't kill us with any more kindness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom