It makes me sad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech Diver

Reaction score
Last night i was watching the wreck detective's on the national geographic channel and they had been looking for a missing wreck in the truk lagoon and finnaly found it with in one day of them finding it some diver went down and stole the bell this seems very harsh to me as all the people who died on board the ship and they slowly strip it apart leaving no nothing. :upset: :upset: ;-0

I find it interesting listening to both points of view on the subject and find myself somewhat in the middle:

The recreational / commercial salvage communities bring up a very good point that the destructive power of the salt water environment will quickly (in historical terms) destroy any evidence of many of these wrecks. Another good point is that few if any will be able to travel to the depths and see the wreckage in its submerged state...

The scientific community points out accurately that without proper treatment the items salvaged will often disintigrate and be useless to all in a short time (see the ongoing process being conducted on the USS Monitor screw at the Virginia Mariners Museum...)

Anthor point amoung scientists is that the findings and items when recovered by scientists are non-proprietary and will be available for all to experience.

A hard argument but I personally would lobby for the scientific approach to the preservation of these sites, I agree with you about the sad fact that wreck sites are often destroyed by theft...

Jeff Lane

Do a search on artifact recovery and similar terms. This subject has been beat to death.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Do a search on artifact recovery and similar terms. This subject has been beat to death.

WW

yes and we allways seem to agree with 99.9% of the cases....

Hey if you guys are so bored with seeing the same subject come up all the time maybe you should check out some other groups?

Jeff Lane

......resurecting an older thread and revisiting with new information or related topic would help those who don't like to see the same topic revisited.

Personally I feel sometimes it is worthwhile revisiting old topics as in anything, "old becomes new again".

This is an important topic to divers, far more than debating the pros and cons of agency vs agency vs dir vs agency and so on.......:confused:

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Hey if you guys are so bored with seeing the same subject come up all the time maybe you should check out some other groups?

Jeff Lane

What a good idea Jeff! We've actually gone one step beyond that already.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...

What a good idea Jeff! We've actually gone on step beyond that already.

WW

What ever do you mean Tom?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom