Itinerary help for inexperienced OW diver traveling solo: AOW on liveaboard or before? Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest you pass on the Advanced cert. You need a refresher and to just go diving. People will try and talk you into the additional cert but you need experience. We went to Koh Tao a few years ago for 32 days. Bangkok. Chang Mi. and 22 days on Koh Tao. Loved that place. Did almost all of my diving with GoodTime Adventures (speedboat to the sites), and some with Master divers (big boat to the sites). Great atmosphere for a 30 year old. Lots of people your age. Laid back if you want that - or - lots of parting if you want that.
Enjoy Thailand. Great food for cheap. Miss that place. Going back someday.
A very good way to gain more experience is being supervised during the advanced open water course.

A few points to consider for the diving side of Thailand:
1. The diving in the Simians is seasonal (October - May)
2. The Simians are significantly better diving than the Gulf of Thailand sites during this time of year
3. The Simians sites are generally deep dives and computers are recommended
4. Many of the Simian Island liveaboards require some form of deep certification or advanced to go on the liveaboard or be taken at the start of the liveaboard
5. I used Seadragon MV Andaman a couple of years ago and would highly recommend. They provide computer to every guest. They limit the DM to diver ratio to 1 to 4. Groups are divided based on number of dives and skill level. The food was fabulous (Thai food served family style). Most accommodations were hostel style (group berths, clean, but Spartan and shared showers, and very rustic toilets ) although some private berths were available.

A few additions:
1. Correct, also other sites like Hin Daeng and Hin Muang and Koh Haa are open from mid October till mid May.
2. Yes, not only the Similans, the whole of the Andaman Sea offers better diving than the Gulf Of Thailand, year round.
3. Computers are always recommended, the dives on the East side of the Similans are gently sloping, other sites are generally deeper.
4. Would depend on the operator, but in general correct.
5. Seadragon is one of the older, reputable operators, aiming mainly at the backpacker market.
6. The name of the islands is Similans.

A very good way to gain more experience is being supervised during the advanced open water course.
I have been reading through the board archives to learn about PADI and the marketing aspect of certification, as well as the ways that certification shifts the focus away from experience. Very interesting, because I'm totally the kind of person that was intreagued by the clear cut path to various levels of certification. I understand now that experience is what's really important, but also that what they call "Advanced" Open Water is really more like "beginner scuba level 2," and it's a separate course in order to make entry level diving more accessible to the average person. Personally, I really loved my Open Water course and instructor, but as someone with a teaching background, felt that there was definitely more room for future guided instruction. Since I can't dive often I think an organized course will be a more valuable way to start off a liveaboard, especially because of the deep dives involved.

@Katie L

I recommend Wicked Diving out of Kao Lak for 3 day liveaboards. They alternate between the Similans and the Surins.

They cater for all levels. I found them to be safe, eco friendly and great fun. my wife and I enjoyed our trip with them. We were teh most advanced divers onboard, but never felt limited and those with less dives were never put into dives outside their comfort zone.

They do carry out AOW courses onboard too

My highest recommendation for them, is that we returned purely so that they take our two sons (then 12 and 14) on a DSD dive. As experienced divers we are very choosy with whom we entrust our children to for training.

A few points to consider for the diving side of Thailand:
1. The diving in the Simians is seasonal (October - May)
2. The Simians are significantly better diving than the Gulf of Thailand sites during this time of year
3. The Simians sites are generally deep dives and computers are recommended
4. Many of the Simian Island liveaboards require some form of deep certification or advanced to go on the liveaboard or be taken at the start of the liveaboard
5. I used Seadragon MV Andaman a couple of years ago and would highly recommend. They provide computer to every guest. They limit the DM to diver ratio to 1 to 4. Groups are divided based on number of dives and skill level. The food was fabulous (Thai food served family style). Most accommodations were hostel style (group berths, clean, but Spartan and shared showers, and very rustic toilets ) although some private berths were available.

Great info, thanks for the review about Seadragon specifically.

@Katie L

I recommend Wicked Diving out of Kao Lak for 3 day liveaboards. They alternate between the Similans and the Surins.

They cater for all levels. I found them to be safe, eco friendly and great fun. my wife and I enjoyed our trip with them. We were teh most advanced divers onboard, but never felt limited and those with less dives were never put into dives outside their comfort zone.

They do carry out AOW courses onboard too

My highest recommendation for them, is that we returned purely so that they take our two sons (then 12 and 14) on a DSD dive. As experienced divers we are very choosy with whom we entrust our children to for training.

I've heard great things about Wicked. Thanks for the review. They're my top pick next to Sea Dragon, whose schedule might fit mine better and offers a 4-day to the Similans that also goes to Richelieu Rock

I'd recommend AOW before the liveaboard too. Maybe do this on Koh Lanta, and get down to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang dive sites during the course. Have a look at Mook Lanta Resort and Lanta Diver...

I was offered a decent discount through Wicked to do a 6-Day Richlieau/Similan combination with the AOW on board if I wanted to upgrade from the 3-day. It seems like a great opportunity and great diving, at a good price. The Seadragon schedule seemed better (4 day) but I like what I've read about Wicked.

However...the Richelieu portion is first. Similan second. Is Richileau an inadvisable for a place to begin my AOW? I explained to them that I was not experienced. I'm told they're very safety-first, trustworthy, no peer-pressure, so that makes me think it's doable.

If it's too challenging though, or I wouldn't be skilled enough to see the good stuff, should probably cut it down to a 3-day and warm up somewhere else.

I'd recommend AOW before the liveaboard too. Maybe do this on Koh Lanta, and get down to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang dive sites during the course. Have a look at Mook Lanta Resort and Lanta Diver...

I would 2nd this suggestion. Do your refresher & AOW before a liveaboard.

Koh Lanta is an excellent base for some very good diving; the Koh Bida sites, Koh Haa, Hin Daeng/Hin Muang ...
Koh Lanta's easy to get to from Bangkok and has a nice laid-back, low-key vibe but probably still lively enough for your needs, with good restaurants & bars on the beach. We've stayed Klong Dao beach with kids & Klong Khong without. For you, Long Beach is maybe a good bet. Loads of operators on Koh Lanta; we were happy with Lanta Diver Diving Thailand, diving centre Koh Lanta

Other options for a base are Koh Phi Phi (now mainly overdeveloped imo), Krabi or Phuket.

It would then be fairly easy to get to a liveaboard from any of those places.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom