It's about time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Briney

Registered
Reaction score
So, Here I am, in my early 50s. I've worked all kinds of different jobs in my life, but none ever paid very much and job "satisfaction" was never in the equation. For the last 10 years, I've working mostly in security. Enough said about that. Still, since my wife and I have been on our own, it's paid enough to cover a little more than the bills. We moved to Florida 2 years ago and I got another security job.
A month ago... contract lost.. back to square one.

I live in a "retirement" community with a pool and the other day, one of the nice, older women commented that I'm always under the water. I thought about that. I never really cared for "swimming", but I've always snorkeled wherever I lived and I love it under the water. It's peaceful, different, and I feel somehow free of the rat race above the surface.

I grew up watching a lot of nature programs: Mutual of Omahan's Wild Kingdom, etc. But my favorite was always The Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau. Yeah, it sounds stupid but that's what got the wheels turning. I did some research and thought, "If I'm not going to make much money, I should at least enjoy what I'm doing." And when I thought about getting into scuba, I knew that would be it.

I've said a million times (in the past year alone), "I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up." Maybe that's the allure of diving. It was a childhood dream and has always been so since. Well, here I am, getting ready to go "over the hill" in age. Maybe I'm too old to start this, but I don't care. I have always been told that I'm great at teaching things, so living the life of a dive instructor, making low pay, but living in wonderful climates and enjoying the sea... that's just fine with me and my wife as well. We don't "want" a lot of what life says we should have to be considered successful. If we enjoy where we are and what we are doing, that's our measure of life's rewards.

The biggest hurdle is getting the funding to get through all the classes & get gear. A lot of money can be saved buying off Craig's List and eBay, and I live in St. Petersburg, Florida, so it's a great place to start. I was hoping there might be some kind of financial aid available like through Sallie Mae (who now handles all student loans). Although I haven't looked yet, I'm sure there won't be any as scuba diving instructor isn't exactly a traditional scholasitc major.

Still, I'm going to do what I have to do to get there. This is my one shot and final shot. I'm taking it.

- Mark

I'm not up on SCUBA training financial aid, if there is such a thing.
But I suggest that you try "Discover Scuba" before you have your
heart set on becoming a dive instructor and trying to make a living from it.
Also, talk to your local dive shop about used gear. You really
never know what your buying on Craig's list or E-Bay - you
could be betting your life on it being in good condition.

Welcome, and best of luck to you! There's a "used vs. new gear" debate that flares up on here form time to time, and a good discussion of things to consider when buying used can be found in this thread: Please wait. I've bought almost all of my major gear used (regulator, BC, tank, computer, SPG, fins) and do most of my diving off the beach, which has saved me a considerable amount of money.
  • [h=6][/h]

IMO diving is a sport in which saving money is an uphill battle since it is equipment intensive and that equipment is pricey. You can buy used equipment but then turn around and service them and spend everything you saved (and still have the same used/old equipment). Or worst buy used equipment and have trouble with it 100ft underwater...

In terms of educational money, just google "diving training schools" and you will find a few schools that offer financing for their training. I am not sure what type of financial aid (free money) you can get outside anything with an academic component. That could be a challenge and it sounds like money is an issue in which case you need to consider that training and equipment aside, this is a sport/profession that requires top physical shape. You may have it now, but would you be able to dive every day in 5,10, 15 years from now? And if you cannot dive how are you going to survive? From what I know instructors do not make impressive salaries.

My two cents

I sincerely appreciate the honest feeback. I have no delusions that a person will make an "impressive" income. I never have so it's something I'm very used to. Maybe if I would have started 20 years ago when I first wanted to. There are people in the local area who have gone on to build a lucrative business for themselves over the years, but time isn't exactly on my side.

To ask if I will still be in good condition to dive in 5, 10, 15 years? A very good thing to consider and that is a very important factor. Again, time isn't on my side.

As for gear, I certainly wouldn't play with getting used equipment when it comes to the critical items... BCD, regulator, etc. Even at 10' down, a failure can still be fatal. Gloves, booties, wetsuits, fins... I've gotten items like this in A-one condition, even new, at much less than buying from a dive shop for snorkeling. There are a lot of people who had gotten into recreational diving in this area (I mean... a lot) who, after only a year, gave it up and have put their gear up for sale at half price or less. Many, actually most, used it only once or twice. It's real tempting, but without thorough knowledge and ability to evaluate the condition of the gear, I don't want to go there. I know the expense of equipment is high... like being a contractor, the investment in tools is considerable. But without the right tools, in good operating condition, you can't do a quality job. The "job" here, as I see it, is to stay alive under water. I'm not willing to push that envelope off the table.

In Marathon, FL, down in the keys, we have Halls Diving Institute. They have numerous ways to finance the training. But, yeah... holy cow. For 14 weeks of training, you'd spend as much as getting a 4 year degree from a community college - @ $30,000 USD. Payments would be $400 a month. Not bad for the amount but, if you're just scratching out a living to begin with, well, it's self-evident. It just seems that this is something only those who are financially privelaged can venture into. I mean no disrespect to those who worked their fins off to get through it on their own. But in this day and age, everything seems to "take money to make money" no matter how meagre the end result of the effort brings. I have no VA benefits. The gov't stopped accepting my classification in Jan, 2013. Another kiss-off from Uncle Sugar. The servicepeople getting out now?... they get full tuition paid, all books and materials, and up to $2,100 a month for housing. I don't begrudge them one bit for their service and sacrifice. They earned it. But what about us older vets? Wasn't our service and sacrifice equivalent? Well, that's a dead horse which can't be beaten into life.

All I can do is start with getting my open water cert and go from there. I have no retirement and whatever I do, I'll be doing until I croak. Maybe I won't be able to dive when I'm 70, or even sooner, but I can't let this dream die. I just can't. It's the last one of my life, as far as I can see. If there is no dream left to pursue while you still can, what's the sense of living? IMO. If nothing else, I can look back and remember being able to see the other world which lies beneath the waves and all the wonders in it... something I always wanted to do, and many never get to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom