It's been 5 months!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
since I dove and to me it seems like an eternity...I also feel "rusty" and would need to do some simple dives to get re-oriented.

Given this, I cannot simply fathom how people who have 2, 3 or 4 year gaps in their diving are just signing up for advanced dives without taking a refresher or at the least taking time to get re-oriented?

When I was in the Galapagos in April I did a fairly advanced dive at Kicker Rock, it was the DM, myself and this lady who had not dove in 5 years and it was her 5th dive ever or something like that. I was just in shock really... she was VERY uncomfortable in the water and the conditions were extremely challenging (strong surge, bad viz, very strong currents, deep (was a wall dive at around 100ft), cold water...the DM had to catch her by the arm the whole dive!

This leads me to believe that people by nature are optimists and think nothing bad will happen to them, or perhaps common sense is enough to handle any bad situation that may happen. Perhaps the fact that they posses the certification card is enough for them and gives them confidence that they will be ok.

What are these people thinking? If I got OW, did 5 dives then not dived for (even way less than) 5 years I wouldn't have a clue how to even assemble the unit. After 6 years of pretty steady diving I still don't like when I am dry for a month or so. I'm not going to forget anything of course, but it's just a matter of staying "tuned up". And frequently the shore diving here does little more for me than to fit that purpose.

While in Grand Cayman one of the key questions asked by the shops was, "when was the last time you dove?" That question and a quick review of a dive log are good ideas to help protect divers from themselves and the shop from litigation. I know there are some of you out there that do not maintain a dive log, but I still think it's a good idea for safety sake.

Plus, even though I have been diving since 1989, I always spend two or three pool session at the LDS before heading to salt water if it's been a few months since my last dive.

I know there are some of you out there that do not maintain a dive log, but I still think it's a good idea for safety sake...

I do maintain a log, actually a spreadsheet to record various gear configurations, weights and to amuse myself since I am a bit senile. But could you refresh my on the "safety aspects" of a dive log?

I have for ever been a "be an active diver" advocate for the reasons K374 has stated. Casual divers are nice people, and with a little remediation most remember their skills and do fine. That remediation can be a refresher course, a simple pool session or a divemaster led dive under fairly controlled conditions. I share Jim's dismay that many shops/instructors/divemasters permit unqualified divers to do dives beyond their present level of competence. In our book(The Scuba Snob' Guide to Diving Etiquette) we write about one of those times; it was on a hammerhead shark dive off Molokai. The dive shop declared you needed 100 dives and you had to dive with them earlier in the week and let them evaluate your skill level before they would permit you on the dive. It seems, though that the real requirement was plopping don $200 for the 2 tank 1/2 day excursion. Business was slow, the boat not full, so filling it ended up more important than putting together a qualified group. I'll leave the rest for you to read if you care to. ( The shop apologized and made amends after the fact) The point is, my friends, if you have not dove for a while, take a refresher, or mark a little pool time. All of us were taught to dive within our limits. Our limits change. If you haven't dove for a while, it's like not going to the gym for a while. You do not start right where you left off on the last workout. You get back into workout shape. The same with diving. So K374, thank for the thread and the reminder. Now spread the word!
DivemasterDennis

I do maintain a log, actually a spreadsheet to record various gear configurations, weights and to amuse myself since I am a bit senile. But could you refresh my on the "safety aspects" of a dive log?

The only 'safety' aspect of the dive log is being able to show the dive op what kind of experience you have. The dive described by the OP doesn't sound like one that a person with only 5 dives and an extended lay off should be doing. Dive ops should say 'No' sometimes.

The only 'safety' aspect of the dive log is being able to show the dive op what kind of experience you have. The dive described by the OP doesn't sound like one that a person with only 5 dives and an extended lay off should be doing. Dive ops should say 'No' sometimes.

I agree with you that dive ops should say no at times. It does put them in an very awkward position though to say no based on a judgement from reading a log book as the timing is probably too close to the dive to make alternate arrangements, so you end up with an pissed off ex-customer. It's a bit easier if the have an objective standard, like a requirement that you have done X dives in the previous 12 months and publish this well ahead of time. The prospective diver can hopefully get a clue and steer themselves into a more appropriate dive. Even if they don't, the OP can point to the objective standard rather than taking the heat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom