It's never just diving with a UTD instructor. :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Jason and I met up with George Watson and his Tech 1 student (Stephen) this past weekend, with the idea to dive and talk about UTD and the classes that he is able to teach. Little did we know that George had some other plans for us. His student was solo this weekend because his team mates bailed on him at the last minute, so George wanted my buddy and I to act as his team mates so that he could practice some of the skills.

The first dive was a shakedown dive with valve drills and OOG's. I wasn't performing my best since I it was my first time wearing double LP72's and I didn't quite have the trimmed out correctly. So I was yo-yoing a bit trying to find that happy medium. After a quick debrief, George must have felt confident that we weren't going to kill each other or him, so we did a really cool experience dive to look at some gypsum crystals growing out of a clay bank.

I must say that I've only dove on this site a few times, but have never really had an opportunity to explore. So this really turned out to be a real treat for me. Out of the local sites we have available, Rock Lake is truly unique. The geologic features of the spring has some similarities of some other local springs, but at the same time are dramatically different.

After a surface interval that included some land drills and George explaining how to *cough* manage some scenarios (that should have been a clue of what was to come), we were back in the water. My buddy was to blow an SMB to use as an upline, while Stephen, was to run the line south along the spring. We experienced fixable post failures, unfixable post failures, lost mask, and even an instance where we were buddy breathing because of the available working regs between us. We even experienced a couple failures that weren't due to George, such as line entanglement and light failures. Luckily, my battery died on my primary light during deco on one of our experience dives.

On our last dive on Friday, George gave us our first dose of crack, for free of course. It was my first time to pilot an x..... I must have one... Dammit, George!

I went into the weekend expecting some simple dives and chatting up George, but what we got was completely different. It's very cool to see how you handle failures when your head isn't in class mode. Over all, we could have handled some things differently, but no body died and I think that's a big plus. Two days, 11 dives, excellent weekend. I think my buddy and I will be starting our Tech 1 class with George in the early spring.

Our first dive on Saturday morning was one of the coolest dives that I've ever experienced. It was dark, except for our light sabers lighting up the wall. If you looked up, all you could see was a green silhouette of the surface. If you looked down, all you saw was a vast wall in front of you disappear into the abyss. And the gypsum crystals hiding in plain site stole the show for the weekend. That was a completely unexpected surprise. I loved it.

My favorite moment was when I had a left post failure, so my only breathable reg was on my primary reg, Stephen was maskless and I was guiding him up the line via touch contact, and Jason and George were having a pretty detailed underwater conversation, where George was telling Jason to go OOG and take Stephens primary regulator. Jason, being the nice guy that he is wanted to make sure that George really wanted him to do that. After a few moments, George reached down, took Stephen's primary, and gave it to Jason. I have to admit, I was chuckling a bit by that. :)

Jason was telling me about this on Sunday.... Sounds like "good" time!

How are those new cylinders treating you?

I think that I'm going to like them a lot more after I get them trimmed out better. It should only take a couple more dives. You'll have to come out with us one weekend. :)

Good time, and good write-up James. It was a great weekend, and the fun dives were up there with some of my all time favs. It was all great, but that first dive on saturday was really amazing.
The X-scooter try-out was just cruel... I must have one. I couldn't believe how powerful it was, made the Sea-doo's I've tried look like childs toys.

I think my buddy and I will be starting our Tech 1 class with George in the early spring.

So James, you have taken DIR-F with GUE, and now you have seen UTD.

Knowing all that you know, would you stick with GUE, switch to UTD or do you feel that the instructor is more important than agency?

My question comes from my own perspective in looking at GUE DIR-F with Rob, vs Intro to Tech with George. I really think that UTD breaks down the classes way more my style. I think the Overhead Protocols class would be my path from the basic intro class.

THoughts?

So James, you have taken DIR-F with GUE, and now you have seen UTD.

Knowing all that you know, would you stick with GUE, switch to UTD or do you feel that the instructor is more important than agency?

My question comes from my own perspective in looking at GUE DIR-F with Rob, vs Intro to Tech with George. I really think that UTD breaks down the classes way more my style. I think the Overhead Protocols class would be my path from the basic intro class.

THoughts?

Honestly,

I think it's going to be more about the instructor than the agency itself. I like what GUE stands for as far as conservation and education. UTD is more of a traditional training agency and much less centered around conservation outreach programs. You couldn't go wrong with George or Rob. They both are doing the dives and have a knowledge base that is top notch. The Intro to Tech is going to cover much of the same material that the Fundamentals class is going to cover plus a little bit of bottle handling. I would chat with both instructors and see which one that clicks more with you and ask yourself where you want your diving to go in the future. Are there GUE or UTD instructors that you see yourself taking classes from in the future? Cave/Technical? GUE is founded on cave diving and does that very well. If you see yourself in caves, then GUE may be the road that you want to follow. At that same time, there is nothing that say's that you can't do the technical programs and overhead protocols class through UTD.

The teaching styles are going to be mostly similar, with a few exceptions and some of the terminology is going to be different.

UTD allows there instructors to simulate run away inflators and the instructors are allowed to take you mask instead of asking for it. GUE instructors aren't allowed to teach run away inflators in the way the UTD does. Also GUE instructors aren't allowed to take your mask, they have to ask for it. I can see both positions. GUE is trying to limit liability, while UTD is trying to create as real of a scenario as possible to see how you react.

There will be some terminology differences like rock bottom or minimum gas. They both are the same thing. I would take classes from both Rob and George. They have similar teaching styles and I click with both of them.

I do like the way that the classes are broken down into smaller chunks in UTD. At that same time, you could schedule your class the same way with GUE. It's just something that you would need to talk to a perspective instructor about. For my Fundamentals class, I went up to Denver for a long weekend at Flatirons doing the academics and pool work and then turned around and went to Santa Rosa for the open water work. I liked having that break in between to absorb the information. When I do the tech 1 class with George, it will be much the same way. I'll go up to Boulder for a long weekend for the academics and pool work and then probably a spend a few weekends in Santa Rosa for the open water work. George can theoretically use the UTD webex for the academics and then we could use Rock Lake for the rest, but George said he would rather be face to face for the entire course and I don't necessarily disagree with him on that. There is some stuff that can be lost in translation while utilizing distance learning tools.

Bottom line, both Rob and George are outstanding instructors and you can't go wrong with either one of them. Just think about where you want your diving to go in the long run and who would be able to help you out the best along the way. Talk with both of them and if possible, dive with both of them. I think Jason and I are looking at taking the class sometime in the spring. We'll need to start hashing out a plan sometime soon and get some diving in. You might be able to be our third team mate for the class. :D

The biggest difference between the two agencies is that you can cross over into UTD classes, and you can't do that with GUE. Therefore, if you see yourself headed into caves, your time is better invested in Fundies than in Essentials or Intro to Tech. If you later decide not to head for the caves, but rather into a technical pathway, either agency is open to you at that point.

If what you are looking for is skills development, either direction is good.

The biggest difference between the two agencies is that you can cross over into UTD classes, and you can't do that with GUE. Therefore, if you see yourself headed into caves, your time is better invested in Fundies than in Essentials or Intro to Tech. If you later decide not to head for the caves, but rather into a technical pathway, either agency is open to you at that point.

If what you are looking for is skills development, either direction is good.

Good point. I asked George if I would need to take a Intro to Tech class before jumping into the Tech 1 program. He said that it wouldn't be necessary since I had taken Fundamentals and that he was familiar with my training background since I took it with Rob. George has trained with Rob and they dive together, so George has a pretty good idea of Rob's level of standards. :)

Edit:

Rob also teaches NAUI tech programs. He appears to teach a top notch program and are broken down into a similar fashion as the GUE Tech1/2 / UTD Tech1/2/Trimix1/2. If for some reason you don't feel like you don't click with George, then Rob would also be able to teach the technical classes that you would want to take under the NAUI umbrella.

Back
Top Bottom