It's supposed to be a tool, RIGHT!!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoadWarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
A tool it may be but seems most ware them for show. Can that be correct? I don't want to be laughed at for carrying a sword.

By all practical standards I'm new to all this. 40 or so dives. While I've never carried a knife while diving I've had occation to wish I had one.

Poking around at something in the sand when I didn't want to stick my hand in there. Poking at a lobster's rear-end to nudge it out of hiding. Once I saw a neat little net lying on the coral but it's lead line was cought and I couldn't pull it loose. The DM came over and cut the line. At surface he said "this is a cool (something net) little net I'm glad I found it." Not that I would have ever needed the net you understand.

I see people wearing these huge knives strapped to their legs, their hoses, their BC's. Like they're hoping for a fight with a passing shark or fear attack from a gaint octopus. On one hand I think "who are they trying to impress?" On the other hand I think, "now that's big enough to really be useful should it ever be needed."

My question: Does one really need to ware a sword? Is a nice little folding knife or a knife with a 3" blade just fine? Should I stop worring about how I look and realize that big knife may come in handy some day?

The only place we ever dive is the Florida Gulf as far east as the Keys and west as Cozumel and in the Caribbean. Last year, diving in Hawaii (oh yeah, Hawaii too) There was a nice couple we meet waiting to board the boat. When everyone started putting gear on they both pulled out their swords. The blades must have been 10". They strapped 'em on their legs with such pride. I couldn't resist and asked, "have you ever had occation to use your knives?" Answer, "no, not really." I just laughed to myself.

Your thoughts on those big knives please... are they all for show - - are they the proper sized tool - - is it a little of both so stop worrying about it.

BTW: if spear fishing or stuff like that I would never give a second though to someones knife.

Mine is only about 4 inches (the knife, not my nether regions). Oh boy, insert jokes here.

It's not the size of the tool, it's how you use it.

KidK9:
It's not the size of the tool, it's how you use it.

You just keep on wishing that were true.

djanni:
A tool it may be but seems most ware them for show. Can that be correct? I don't want to be laughed at for carrying a sword.

You don't have to carry a sword but you should carry a small cutting device (knife, line cutter, scissors). They day you need it then you need it right then and there. Forget how it looks and go for something functional.

I don't really know what to recommend to you for your type of diving but I have one of these and one of these and they're both adequate for the diving I do.

R..

I do quite a bit of freshwater diving in lakes with lots of fishing line in it. I carry EMT shears and a cheap $12 remington foldup knife I got at walmart. It has a nice serated edge, can be opened with one hand, has a clip on it, and gets the job done. It's also cheap if it gets lost. I was suckered into buying a big huge titanium knife when I first got into diving, I've never used it once. I got it and said, "Where the heck and I am going to put this rambo knife?" Just for what it is worth, I use the EMT shears more than anything when cutting. I even used them yesterday during a dive to clean up some fishing line.

Matt

i carry one of the short seal lock knives like Diver0001 linked to above, also a pair of shears in a pocket. i used carry the bonafide Rambo cut down a whole forest with one mighty swing, but hated the size of it after about 2 dives with it..much happier now

I actually laugh at the individuals that bring monstrous knives. It's ridiculous. What are you going to do, fight a great white?

Back
Top Bottom