It's supposed to be a tool, RIGHT!!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to think it silly to carry a knife. I learned it is very practical and I have only used it twice in about 200 dives. I have mine mounted on my BC so I can pull it across my chest from left to right (right handed) it is easy to find and not in the way. If this link comes back up there is a great article here about knive and why not to carry those silly little paramedic scissors.

www.njscuba.net/gear

The article is one man's opinion but he makes a good case.

thats what i carry a knife and a shears. Best of both worlds. try getting caught in fishing line on a night dive and cutting yourself out with a torch in your hand and a knife..shears are designed for one handed operation, knives aren't always...

mossym:
thats what i carry a knife and a shears. Best of both worlds. try getting caught in fishing line on a night dive and cutting yourself out with a torch in your hand and a knife..shears are designed for one handed operation, knives aren't always...

See the DIY link for a DIR style cannister light, heck you could surely build this. frees up your hands real nice. Read the article and decide about the shears on your own, me I'm easily swayed. For me less gear is better as I lobster dive and those nooks and crannies can be tough to get in and out of. In a Kelp forest I may bring a weed wacker. Don't take it personally but I will pass on trying your suggestion, I'm afraid of the dark. :wink:

ScubaNorth:
I used to think it silly to carry a knife. I learned it is very practical and I have only used it twice in about 200 dives. I have mine mounted on my BC so I can pull it across my chest from left to right (right handed) it is easy to find and not in the way. If this link comes back up there is a great article here about knive and why not to carry those silly little paramedic scissors.

www.njscuba.net/gear

The article is one man's opinion but he makes a good case.

I've read a couple of his articles... the New Jersey Scuba Diver is quite opinionated. He may be right too.

ScubaNorth:
See the DIY link for a DIR style cannister light, heck you could surely build this. frees up your hands real nice. Read the article and decide about the shears on your own, me I'm easily swayed. For me less gear is better as I lobster dive and those nooks and crannies can be tough to get in and out of. In a Kelp forest I may bring a weed wacker. Don't take it personally but I will pass on trying your suggestion, I'm afraid of the dark. :wink:

there..you went and said the D* word. :D

not arguing with you, i think each diver needs to decide what works for him, or her for that matter. I like shears they're flat in my bc pocket, so no nook or cranny to worry abouts. BUt you have to go with what you feel comfortable with.

mossym:
there..you went and said the D* word. :D

not arguing with you, i think each diver needs to decide what works for him, or her for that matter. I like shears they're flat in my bc pocket, so no nook or cranny to worry abouts. BUt you have to go with what you feel comfortable with.

You are right I had no business using that kind of language. It is a cool light though. I wear thick gloves and it is a chore to get into my BC pockets so everything is on my BC someplace. I agree each diver has to decide what works for him or her. I get sick of people telling me the "right" way to do it. Gear configuration is about comfort and access so what ever works for you is the best.

P

that's the one problem i have with dir, is the conformity of gear, not all gear, but just what knife you can carry and where it has to go.

the reg setup, bp/w, that all makes sense to me

i wish someone would teach the skills they learn withouth the gear requirements. oh wait, isn't that supposed to be what the other agencies do?

Well that article seems to be gone.

I always carry at least one cutting tool on any dive.
Most of the time I carry a small knife and shears.
I place them so that I can reach them with either hand.

I find that I use the shears far more often than the knife.

Then again sometimes you gotta use the Broco. :D

I think the choice is a regional thing. We dive shipwrecks in superior and carry knipex ultra heavy duty side cutters. Shears and knifes won't cut the steel cables in some of the wrecks. I do also carry a dive knife, you never know when someone might offer you a half of a sandwich!!!

Back
Top Bottom