It's supposed to be a tool, RIGHT!!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni:
All, I should have titled this Thread "Except for those who have to deal with heavy kelp or dive in heavily fished areas where there is a lot of line to get tangled in." I was not talking about the spear fisherman and their need for a very large, very pointed, very sharp knife. That, I understand.

It's the people who dive Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Aruba, Belize, Bonaire and etc. That is the group of people I was originally referring to. Is there really a need for that big knife applied to ones leg when diving in those situations? Is it showman ship? Do you laugh at them or envy their style.

The first time I saw a dive knife used was in Grand Bahama the DM used it daily to cut fishing line off the reefs. There was a ton of the stuff and he cut rolled and took it out with him. So I would say yes it is required. Of course to CEO of my company I was diving with could have left his Tarzan Blade at home. I never laugh at anyone's gear as I just figure they have their own reasons for carrying a big knife.

If you're diving in the marine reserve in Cozumel, you will be advised not to bring a knife. The park authorities will fine you if you dive wearing gloves or carrying a knife. I left my small (BC mounted) knife in my gear bag, and dove with the snips I keep hanging from my BC waist belt.

For dives outside the reserve, I wear a small knife and the snips. (I use the snips more often.)

Rev. Blade:
If you're diving in the marine reserve in Cozumel, you will be advised not to bring a knife. The park authorities will fine you if you dive wearing gloves or carrying a knife. I left my small (BC mounted) knife in my gear bag, and dove with the snips I keep hanging from my BC waist belt.

For dives outside the reserve, I wear a small knife and the snips. (I use the snips more often.)

While diving Coz what would you use those snips for?

ScubaNorth:
I used to think it silly to carry a knife. I learned it is very practical and I have only used it twice in about 200 dives. I have mine mounted on my BC so I can pull it across my chest from left to right (right handed) it is easy to find and not in the way. If this link comes back up there is a great article here about knive and why not to carry those silly little paramedic scissors.

www.njscuba.net/gear

The article is one man's opinion but he makes a good case.
The only good point the guy makes is that the rivet may corrode and weaken.

The guy doesn't even realize that these things are used [repeatedly] for cutting leather boots off of people (that's one thing paramedics use them for).

Considering the guy is suggesting a fairly large knife, mounted on the leg, I'm not inclined to believe much he says -- if the leg is what's entangled, it makes it pretty hard to just bend your leg and get the knife.

I have a 5" blade, attached to my BC; and a set of shears.

I've played this game for over 35 years. The one constant I've found is that other than eye surgery anything you can do with a small knife can be done with a large one. The reverse is NOT true!

I'm still here because I religously carry a knife whenever I'm in the water, and most of the time when I'm not. I've used it underwater to save my life at least 3 times, and the lives of others who "didn't need a knife" or thought a dull one was still a knife more times than I care to count. I don't even like to get in a pool without one!

Carry a knife big enough to to the WORST job you MIGHT need to do, and keep it VERY SHARP! Dull knives and unloaded guns function at best as very poor clubs. Marine friendly stainless steel needs to be sharpened at least every 4th dive, even if the knife wasn't used.

FT

ScubaNorth:
I am always interested in taking the advice of those more experienced than myself. What is considered the best placement of a knife. I added a few grommets to my BC and screwed the knife on the left side at an angle that allows me to reach across my chest and remove the knife. Yeah I didn't really buy the inner leg bit either as that is not comfortable for me to reach.

T.S.... How did you put the grommets in your BC? I've thought about doing that. One nice, reinforced grommet in the pocket to run a reteactor through would be great. So how'd you do it and what did you use to reinforce the hole?

dj

Amen to FredT, that's my $.02.

Only used a knife once, monofilament tangle in a moderate current, wish I'd had Vader's lightsabre.

Dive Well, Dive Safe.

My first dive trip to Florida changes my attitude toward large knives.

Last weekend - Panama City Florida - 8 dives - We're out on 6-packs and on each dive 2 to 4 people would be spear fishing. I saw them using their knives to stab flounder. Also, there were lot's of fisherman at the surface around each wreck/artificial reef dive site we went to. I couldn't get over how much fishing line was down below. Line, hooks, sinkers, etc. etc.

I can see both the offensive and defensive uses of a "big 'ole knife."

Before this Florida trip my diving was limited to somewhere in the Carib or along the Riveria Maya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom