It's That Time Of Year Again. Idiot Boaters Don't Know What A Dive Flag Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone needs to invent a flag/float that is 10' x 10'. Now that's feet, not inches! I would probably buy it! :D

Educate and inform . . . for those who just don't know. Enforcement for the rest.

Does the FWC and Coast Guard not run PSA spots on TV this time of year to remind/educate boaters? If they don't, they should. Perhaps a phone call or 100 would encourage them to step up to the plate. BTW, the TV stations must run PSAs to retain their FCC license.

Here's what I'm thinking. Get those Divers down signs printed on adhesive paper and laminated. Apply onto boat docks and other areas where people will see them. Get a Go Fund Me page to set up resources.
Who's game? We've been complaining about boaters for far too long. Time to do something!

I'm in; need to collaborate on a plan of action.

I was hit by a boat at Delray Ledges on August 3, 2013. It was in a summer squall with nearly zero visibility. The boat was travelling at high speed over the reef on the way in to to a fish weigh-in for a tournament. They ran right over my flag. It's not only the flag, its being aware that divers may be over the reef. The captain was cited for 3 infractions, I was minimally injured and missed 10 days of diving. You better believe I am really cautious when surfacing.

scubadada glad you survived to tell your story. It's that bad out there. And the west coast of Florida, Venice area, I've found it to be even worse!
Pete is right though, they run the PSAs near mini season.
Did a dive today north of Ft. Lauderdale. As we were packing our gear up we saw a guy in the water with the flag a good distance away. I think he was free diving, I'm not sure. A boat slowed to idle speed, but only after almost hitting him. Divers fault there. The boat continued at idle speed till it was past the dive flag, then was on it's merry way.

I'm in; need to collaborate on a plan of action.

Sounds like the first few drops of a downpour...
Post the warnings at docks, marine dealers, boating forums, Facebook etc. I think the most impact is had face to face. Most of you are highly intelligent, well spoken, friendly people that can add the human element back to the stale PSA's. Too many people won't be bothered to self-educate. I'm pretty sure most boaters would prefer not critically injure the person they just had a chat with. Just don't be an ass about it.
How about a simulation? Video from our perspective?

Later this evening I will start a shared "Google Docs" document to begin collecting a plan....ideas on exactly what sign(s) and other media with which to start....ideas on how to distribute whatever media we decide on....beginning framework for cost estimates on which to base a fundraising plan. Anyone who wants to contribute send me an IM/message/conversation (not sure what the right term is for for the new SB); this is Scuba_Jenny's idea; I'm just out to provide a medium for collaboration on how to turn her idea into reality.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom