It's That Time Of Year Again. Idiot Boaters Don't Know What A Dive Flag Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What we need is a meme that spreads the concept of a thousand dollar fine on boaters who violate the flag. :D If you can't convince 'em, BS 'em. :D

Interesting posts

The generation of entitlement..

The boaters are uneducated regarding the divers flag,,,why ? The red & white flag the symbol of recreational diving has been in "Chapman's" and a component of the US Coast Guard training programs since the late 1950s

Perhaps it would be appropriate to visit Vista Print and send them $9.95, and have them print 500 business cards identifying the red & white dive flag and its description & purpose...distribute to marinas, boating & fishing clubs and any one else associated with water activities .

Time to become grass roots proactive

SDM

Last edited:
As a boater and diver I had a different experience. 2 freedivers were so far from their boat(it was like a spot and forget about the flag it was basically on the floor) and they had no dive flag/float.
I just happened to be going idle speed and talking. If I was going the normal speed you may of been reading about it in the papers.
Buy the 7 dollar dive flag/float it may save your life!!!

Carry a bang stick and use it on the boat's hull

I would consider such an act one of self defense.

But do you really think a judge or jury would?

Probably much better to get the authorities involved.

But do you really think a judge or jury would?

Probably much better to get the authorities involved.
It probably would not get that far. Summer of 74, 12 of us were canoeing the length of the Suwanee River and then some. We started in the Okefenokee Swamp and took out at New Port Ritchey, some 550 nautical miles. Just past one of the Springs, we were being hassled by skiers as they were using our canoes as slalom pylons. As one buzzed us, he was hit in the ribs with a paddle. The harassment stopped, but an hour and a half later the Sheriff shows up, wanting our side of the story. The Sheriff was more than satisfied that we were simply defending ourselves and wished us well.

I would never advocate violence, not even over a flag. But I do advocate defending your self from fidiots and using force if need be. A bang stick would be completely impractical if only due to logistics. A boat operating that close though, would be inviting an act of defense though, whatever that might be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom