I've got the bug.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irocbrd

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have successfully passed the OW certification and this past weekend did our first quarry dive without an instructor. Although we didn't go with an instructor we did find some people with a local dive club that showed us around and educated us on the quarry and the wrecks that were around. We found some great people in the dive club to dive and take trips with. If you are new to diving and have the bug like we do, I truely recommend joining a local dive club and meet as many divers as possible.

Plan your dive and dive your plan.....

We went up to Circleville Twin Quarries, up by Columbus this past Saturday. Water was warm, but the visibility was about 5 to 10 feet or so. There were some sections were you couldn't see the hand in front of your face. I imagined to myself that I was night diving without a light. It wasn't the best dive, but it did help me with my bouyancy and my comfort level.

I think next week I will either head to Gilboa or even Blue Springs.

Oct 4&5th I think a group of us will be going to Portage for the weekend, but that is still up in the air.

I was the same way. Now I am slowing down and trying to learn more about different aspects of diving. I hope your passion is still as strong years down the line. Again congrats

Scott, I was up at Gilboa again this weekend for my AOW cert dives and got a few others in too. If your girlfriend is Stephanie, then I think we were at the same table at the Gavia meeting last Thursday.

I've got ~5hrs of dive time at Gilboa and it was fun to lead a couple from my OW class that just did their cert. dives this past weekend on their first non-training dive. I kinda flubbed the first "natural navigation" during my cert. dive, but it really did begin to feel "familiar" down there after just a few dives.

I know there's a lot more to see, but I doubt that I'll be making it back up to Gilboa this year. I'd like to try Blue Springs or Twin Quarries before it gets too cold.

-Rob

Rob, yeah, I sat right next to you if I recall correctly at the Gavia meeting. I remember you were talking about your AOW cert you were going to take. Congrats to you.
Now you can start diving at the Newport Aquarium?
I am going to try and dive at least two more times this year. Gilboa is a must, because there is so much to see and it's a bit deeper than the other quarries I have been to. Circleville was ok, but it's really shallow....15 to 25 feet, but Blue Springs is really nice.

I hope you have a great week and if you are ever in need of a dive buddy, don't hesitate to look me up... Hope to see you at the next Gavia meeting.

What's that all about. We were at Gilboa 10 days ago, and the water at 0-30' was like bath water. Granted it got a little chilly down around 80' or so.

Do you kids quit diving the end of September or something? My partner Dave and I are planning on going down the middle of December to dive in Gilboa while the water is clear. Might make a trip in January too if the quarry doesn't freeze over.....

It's not so much the water temp that is the deterent for me, it's unfortunately the lack of available time. I am trying to get in as much diving as I can afford in time and equipment. With being a newbee, I am attempting to set aside money for equipment and a trip in December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom