I've never even seen a DSMB...is that weird?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're in Missouri, you'll probably get around to a road trip to the Gulf... (there's always Lake Michigan, but... brrrrrrrr...). Many of the Panama City Beach dive charters absolutely require SMB's. Or if you visit Coz... mostly drift dives and SMB's are a very good idea on any drift... Or, if you dive where there's lots of recreational boating, usually a good idea to send up an SMB while you're doing your safety stop, even if you have a dive flag already floating... too many propeller accidents lately...

Practice with a finger spool and an SMB where you do your local diving -- lake or quarry...

Good luck, and dive safe...

P.S. Scubafanatic... *three* computers?? I always have a backup computer with me, but I don't understand the purpose of going down with three...

If you are in the habit of diving in a group that is shepherded by a divemaster, you will probably not see them routinely deployed, and, if they are deployed, it will be by the divemaster.

motm.jpg

...well, as you gain experience you WILL see them! ...especially if you graduate to more advanced diving, liveaboards are pretty big on them and for many dive ops they are REQUIRED safety gear...as in, no SMB = NO DIVING !!! Probably they are not really mentioned in OW class because it's not politically-correct to point out to brand new divers the risks/dangers of diving, the industry needs to have you spend $ on gear, not potentially scare you off !

When you start to run with the big dogs (doing remote, middle-of-nowhere liveaboards...my fav!) you will become much more aware of safety/self-reliance/redundancy.

Here's my standard 'kit' with respect to safety gear, on ALL dives :

2 handheld lights
1 shoulder mounted (military grade-NATO approved) emergency signal strobe from JOTRON
1 signal mirror
1 knife
1 line cutting tool
2 6' Halcyon SMBs
1 spare Atomic Aquatics mask (in BC pocket)
1 air-horn (powered off BCD hose)
1 Nautilus Lifeline emergency radio/GPS unit (on order for delivery April 2011)

(also all dives with at least 2 computers, sometimes 3...plus SPG......stainless steel fin spring straps which can't break......Oxycheq EXTREME 'wing', the strongest/toughest wing material in the world!)

Where do you put it all?
I'm all for safety, but triple redundancy seems a bit much. Now, if there were diving sherpas...

Where do you put it all?
I'm all for safety, but triple redundancy seems a bit much. Now, if there were diving sherpas...
Scubafanatic loves scuba gear more than scuba diving. If you aren't convinced, ask him about his save-a-dive kit. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:wink:

I see threads about the DSMB things from time to time (one right now). I've never been with anyone who's deployed one, and in fact I've never even seen one. I am sitting here wondering, was that something taught in OW classes? Is it weird I've never seen it? Yes, I only have 15 dives, but I don't know if I'm behind and don't know something I should.

Thanks!

It's not something that's typically taught in OW class. I introduce DSMB deployment in AOW class ... primarily because local conditions make it a good skill for divers to have once they start getting out of the basic shore dive spots and start diving some of the more challenging conditions.

Deploying a DSMB (aka "shooting a bag") is a great skill to have if you're diving in current, or in places where you may have to surface in boating traffic. For diving in most inland or tropical locations, they're not needed ... places like Cozumel or Komodo, where currents are typical, being some exceptions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

These were (if I remember correctly) just appearing about 8 years ago as I began my absence. No idea they caught such popularity, or in some cases, are mandatory...

Ah, more gear to buy (x2 or x3 as we have added a third diver to the family)

I had never heard of a DSMB until I took Fundamentals, at about 60 dives. It's a very useful thing to have for boat diving, but if you primarily shore dive, I can see why you haven't run into one.

Things can go awry on a shore dive as well making an smb just as necessary on
a shore dive as a charter boat dive.

Reactions: D_B
They're part of the PADI AOW crewpack now, along with a whistle. The one that comes in the pack seems to be fairly well made...it'll do the job. Beats the heck out of hoping that the people on the boat *might* notice you waving at them.

Kristopher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom