I've never even seen a DSMB...is that weird?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoccerJeni

Scuba Baby
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I see threads about the DSMB things from time to time (one right now). I've never been with anyone who's deployed one, and in fact I've never even seen one. I am sitting here wondering, was that something taught in OW classes? Is it weird I've never seen it? Yes, I only have 15 dives, but I don't know if I'm behind and don't know something I should.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's not weird at all. With most instructional agencies, shooting a DSMB is not something that's taught in basic OW class. It really isn't that big of a deal. Learn about it...when you need to.

On a side note, with only 15 dives, I'm sure there's a lot you haven't seen yet (with respect to diving). Have fun exploring... :D

Yes it was briefly touched upon though not in any detail. If you recall when you surface away from the boat, in high seas, or need to signal the boat out of normal viewing range inflate your DSMB and wait for the boat to come to you. Chances are if you have dove in a group you have seen it undeployed as it usually is rolled up into a roll and suspended somewhere off the BCD or BPW for emergencies.

On a side note, with only 15 dives, I'm sure there's a lot you haven't seen yet (with respect to diving). Have fun exploring... :D

Wow I have tons of dives and still to this day I continue to learn new things. :) It is true though to keep an open mind and keep learning :)

I can help. Repeat after me...

"Show me your sausage" :eyebrow:

I can help. Repeat after me...

"Show me your sausage" :eyebrow:

I had never heard of a DSMB until I took Fundamentals, at about 60 dives. It's a very useful thing to have for boat diving, but if you primarily shore dive, I can see why you haven't run into one.

Yes, Bubbletrubble, I have TONS more to learn! :) And I can't wait to take it all in!!!

CD... :cakefight: :)

TSandM...that's weird, I've only done 1 shore dive. Hum...several of the boat dives were in areas that were in areas where there were several other dive boats though. Weird...

...well, as you gain experience you WILL see them! ...especially if you graduate to more advanced diving, liveaboards are pretty big on them and for many dive ops they are REQUIRED safety gear...as in, no SMB = NO DIVING !!! Probably they are not really mentioned in OW class because it's not politically-correct to point out to brand new divers the risks/dangers of diving, the industry needs to have you spend $ on gear, not potentially scare you off !

When you start to run with the big dogs (doing remote, middle-of-nowhere liveaboards...my fav!) you will become much more aware of safety/self-reliance/redundancy.

Here's my standard 'kit' with respect to safety gear, on ALL dives :

2 handheld lights
1 shoulder mounted (military grade-NATO approved) emergency signal strobe from JOTRON
1 signal mirror
1 knife
1 line cutting tool
2 6' Halcyon SMBs
1 spare Atomic Aquatics mask (in BC pocket)
1 air-horn (powered off BCD hose)
1 Nautilus Lifeline emergency radio/GPS unit (on order for delivery April 2011)

(also all dives with at least 2 computers, sometimes 3...plus SPG......stainless steel fin spring straps which can't break......Oxycheq EXTREME 'wing', the strongest/toughest wing material in the world!)

The PADI open water DVD does show them using one and explains to use it under a handful of circumstances. The problem is its about 1 line. Its a deploy it when ........ and its never mentioned again. This is something that could use a little fine tuning as TsandM mentioned its a critical piece of gear in some ops mind and require it upfront.

There really is nothing to using them though all you do on the surface is inflate and hold it upright to signal a boat. If you are shore diving its less critical sense obviously the shore can not come to you. I would still strongly suggest though even on shore dives you carry one with you as in the unlikely event you hit a current taking you away from shore. Your shore support can call for help and when the help arrives you can inflate it to signal the boat or the helicopter.

I will admit I skimp on some of my gear sometimes but I try never to skimp out on gear that can keep me from being the next statistic.

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom