jacket style vs back inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dentlfly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
why the big turn to back inflation. i know they are more compact for travel. i just purchased an aqualung zuma and used in pool. definitely more work on surface to stay upright. am considering trying a jacket style like aqualung pro hd or scubapro glide. but zuma like hardly wearing anything. thanks.

Better trim, integrated weights, compact and more customization options in terms of setup. Thats what got me into back inflates, the trim alone was enough for me to change religions.

why are you considering going away from the bc you just purchased? If you think it's more work to stay upright on the surface, then you have incorrect body position for that bc. It's quite easy to lay all the way back or stay vertical at the surface in a back-inflate or backplate and wing, but there is a learning curve to them and then they become second nature.

why are you considering going away from the bc you just purchased? If you think it's more work to stay upright on the surface, then you have incorrect body position for that bc. It's quite easy to lay all the way back or stay vertical at the surface in a back-inflate or backplate and wing, but there is a learning curve to them and then they become second nature.

Face planting the water was traumatizing only on the first few dives on a back plate for me, past that i just lay on my back as you mentioned and relax while all the jacket-ters bop up and down on the surface :D

i will stick with it. i have not been diving in 15 years. getting recertified along with my 13 year old daughter getting her open water. i bought the zuma for both of us. i might check out the zeagle stiletto; our dive shop carries both brands. feel like the zuma may not hold up as well for me since i am 220 lbs.

The Zuma didn't have enough lift for my liking. I settled on a back inflate as it is easier to travel with, feels better while diving, and is less intrusive on my experience. I haven't had the same faceplant issues with the hydros though.

i will stick with it. i have not been diving in 15 years. getting recertified along with my 13 year old daughter getting her open water. i bought the zuma for both of us. i might check out the zeagle stiletto; our dive shop carries both brands. feel like the zuma may not hold up as well for me since i am 220 lbs.

Welcome back, but take your time doing your research before getting something you might regret/not need later. I bought a ScubaPro Hydros Pro and was absolutely crazy about it, sold it a few months later for a proper BP/W. Did i regret it? no, was i slightly out of pocket? yes, was it avoidable? definitely yes.

My first BCD was a jacket style and I really liked it. When my wife got certified, the LDS sold her a back inflate (Aeris 5 Oceans). When those were discontinued, I came across a really good buy on a new one in my size on-line at a store trying to sell off their inventory so bought one as I figured it would be lighter and easier to travel with. When I received it, I wanted to get some experience with it. I liked it so much, I have not used my jacket style since. It's so much easier to maintain buoyancy and trim with it. And I don't have as much problem with faceplanting with it as I did with the jacket. I now wish I had started out with a back inflate.

Back
Top Bottom