Jacques Cousteau 100th celebration...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
whoo hoo! the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau on TCM (turner classic movies) all night, in honor of what would have been old Jack's 100th birthday!!

this is the stuff that made a land locked Midwestern kid like me want to be a scuba diver.

whoo hoo! the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau on TCM (turner classic movies) all night, in honor of what would have been old Jack's 100th birthday!!

this is the stuff that made a land locked Midwestern kid like me want to be a scuba diver.

Too bad there's no YouTube of SCTV doing Jacques Cousteau & Co exploring "The Well". It's hilarious!

I was watching the episode in which they were diving Jamaica. IMHO, the coral and fish were more plentiful back then. :depressed:

It pissed me off every time they manhandled the coral, but back then we didn't know.

Last edited:
I watched a couple of the TCM shows today. Nice of them to show the old stuff.

I also picked up JMC's biography of his dad on the way home from work. Looking forward to reading it after reading The Sea King earlier this year.

A great man in spite of, or maybe because of, his flaws. guess its hard being human.

Watching the under sea world of Jauues Cousteau as a child is what inspired me to start diving.
Jaques was my childhood hero.

90% tripe. He will always be remembered for pretty much inventing scuba and many inovations. But the 'hey look at me, I'm famous' production smacks of ego. Unwatchable.

90% tripe. He will always be remembered for pretty much inventing scuba and many inovations. But the 'hey look at me, I'm famous' production smacks of ego. Unwatchable.

...agreed ! I started watching it last night, but bowed out half way into the 1st episode (the shark one)....way too politically-incorrect for me as a citizen living in the year 2010....that 'research' was completely prehistoric/primitive and had a lot of 'boys will be boys' element to it....but again, guess I gotta keep it in historical context as much has been learned since the '60's. I'll admit he was a big influence on me as a very young kid though....back in the day there was no internet/cable/satellite TV...TV only had like 8 channels back then, half of which went off the air at midnight......so all we had was National Geographic/Wild Kindom/ PBS-Public Broadcasting System available...so I watched Jacques Cousteau pretty religiously when I was young and impressionable.

Yes, what would have been better is to show early attempts...sucesses and failures of scuba. Things tried, lessons learned.

During the 50s it was all about trial and error. Not a word about dive tables, SI or anything about the evolution of scuba diving. Just refitting the boat for another trip around the world, crowds cheering as if he was the 2nd coming. I'm old enough to remember it the 1st time around. It sucked then and it sucks now.

you have to put it into the context of the 60's .. it was partly science, partly to get more money for projects

bad way to treat the ocean? ... heck, you still have people that treat the ocean the same way today .. what is their excuse?

the hey look at me I'm famous may have been exactly what the producers directed .. me not having met him I would not make a guess as to his ego

Back
Top Bottom