Jacques Cousteau 100th celebration...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive today was special. Blue Springs in Orange City, FL flows 110 million gallons a day of clear 72 degree water into the Saint Johns River. It is a major manatee winter home with 70 or more of them seen some days. In 1971, the Cousteau team made a program about manatees and the spring. That location was a beat-up public amusement when the film was made. It showed local divers riding manatees, and similar close interactions.

The public realized Blue Springs was a little wonder of the world, deserving better oversight. The spring and surrounding areas were made a state park, and returned to a more natural condition. New laws protecting manatees were enacted.

Local folks around Orange City will say "Cousteau brought us our park". Well, there were tax dollars at work, but Jaques Cousteau did bring major attention to the spring.

There was 100 foot visibility today. Always 72 degrees. Thanks, Captain Cousteau.

Last edited:
He was inventor, yes successful, but not every idea works, As i watch the shows i see his use of triple tanks, and placing them in a cover. But this has not caught on today. His personal saucer was so cool, but where did that end up today ? .

if Jaques Cousteau would have never been SCUBA would have never been.
the critics need to think about that.

I hope that the good Capitan would see the humor in this and laugh out loud ... I sure did :)
... if not, then I apologize ... no disrespect meant

[youtubehq]eNqPTOb31S8[/youtubehq]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom