Jamaica Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamiaca gets a bad rap. Yea, the diving is so-so at best but if you live with a non-diver anything that is warm and wet looks good.
Especially if you're used to cold water low vis diving.
The diving with the all inclusives is the same. Load up boat with 8 or 10 resort divers, go out for a 30 minute dive and come back.
The all-inclusives are fine though if you just want to kick back eat and relax. I've been to Sandals Ocho Rio's twice, Sandals Negril, Breezes Runaway Bay and Holiday Inn Montego Bay.
I actually enjoyed the diving at the Holiday Innn but it was not included in the package, hence they took you to some pretty good reefs. Like most of the others say here you won't see much marine life but to me any diving beats no diving. By the way the only way to do Jamaica is all-inclusive and don't leave the resort.
good luck email with any questions.

.... Caribbean to chose from, Jamaica would be about the last place to go.

Sorry.

DocVikingo

Amen Doc. :rolleyes:

My wife and I took our honeymoon at Sandels Dunns River. The diving IMO was a 6 or 7 out of 10. (at least on my scale. Haven't been to GBR or Belize yet) The resort was GREAT, food was good and the people were very nice. Hint.... If you stay on your all inclusive resort you won' get robbed, you won't get hassled, you will have a good time. The diving isn't good enough for me to go back just for that but the overall package for me and my wife was great and absolutely worth it. The resort dive was a 6 but the private dive operation that took my wife and me out took us to a very nice shelf which had a ton of turtles, sharks, rays, etc.

If that was a 6 or 7 what do you consider a 2 or 3? The bathtub?

You're right. I retract my nasty comment. :)

It's true that you'll be approached by nearly everybody trying to sell things. All you have to do is smile and say "no, thank you" and they smile and go away. Jamaican people are mainly very friendly and very poor. Thy're not obnoxious, but you're generally carrying in your pocket what they make in 2 or 3 months. Sure, they'll try to sell you something for a few dollars, but I've never had anybody there press when I said no.

Also, should you want an item they're offering, always haggle for it. They never expect you to pay full price and it adds to the experience. Judging from the experiences my sister had there, this works better if you're female :)

We were at Beaches Negril (owned by Sandals buts allows kids) in 2000.
All inclusive. Did the resort course and thats where we got bit by the scuba bug.

For just adults, look into Sandals Negril or Swept Away (owned by Couples) also in Negril.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Beach is nice and no sand fleas. If you want more than just diving, it can be a fantastic place.

Juls=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom