Jamaica Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I and my buddy, when accosted, would smile broadly, hear out the hawker, politely *thank* the person for their solicitation, decline and attempt to break off the contact. This seemed totally ineffective: the soliciting person continued unrelentingly to offer their wares, even pursuing us as we were forced to rudely stroll away up the beach, badgering us behind our backs.
In trips to bleakly poverty-stricken St. Vincent, not much better off Dominica, Guadaloupe, St. Lucia, Belize, Bonaire, Caymans, etc. etc, I've never encountered anything remotely close to the harassment I found in Negril.

You have apparently NEVER been to Mexico.... I was in what I was told ahead of time to be "The Beautiful" Puerto Vallarta, Mexico this past spring break.....
IT WAS THE WORST.... I didn't expect much as far as the diving while there, but I did do a few dives to be able to at least say I dove while there... (can't be that close to any possible diving and not dive).....
However.... As far as the people bothering the living heck out of you to purchase something, anything from them.... MY LORD.... It was the WORST by far that I have EVER experienced.... They would even fight with each other if you decided to go with a different one due to a lower price.... It was aweful!
I LOVED JAMAICA.... I agree, the diving is not the best.... however....I have experienced worse diving in Florida at times... It is BEAUTIFUL and the people are extremely friendly (unless you plan on traveling to Kingston that is)... There were even "guard stations" on both ends of the property to keep the so called harassing sales people away from bothering with the resort vacationers....
JAMAICA gets way to bad of a reputation.... There are areas here in the States that I am more embarrassed to admit are here than most of Jamaica....
I guess it depends on just how spoiled one decides they must be. Sure, I'd rather dive the Caymans, or T&C or many other areas myself.... But.... Isn't it nice to have a varity of places to experience? :grrr:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom