James Cameron reaches deepest spot on Earth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's probably fake. Just like Avatar.

Anyone who does not think this is amazing has some seriously lofty goals.

I had meant it as irony - so ironically I took it out.

I devoured the story when I was a kid. This new generation of sub - can easily tether & control an ROV for difficult to reach spots live vents, being close to the event instead of from the surface.

Now if only we can get some other rich Hollywood producer off his couch...C'MON GEORGE LUCAS - try funding NASA or SPACE X.

It is amazing and I wish it could have been me that went there.

Comments about silt seem like a cheap shot trying to discredit the original,even more amazing, descent

Back in the 1970s when I was working on Cousteau Project Ocean Search programs, Don Walsh (who in 1960 went down to these depths with Piccard in the Trieste) was one of the program lecturers so I got to meet and talk with him.

A friend recently said something to the effect of "Been there, done that. So what?" Yes, Walsh and Piccard did descend there, but due to the state of technology at the time and the sediment resuspended by the Trieste they were unable to get much good footage of the marine life down there. Cameron, as a film maker, undoubtedly will bring back some very valuable scientific documentation... as well as inspiration for his future movies! I heartily applaud Cameron's success... now I don't have to keep it on my list of life goals! Whew!!!

Yep and this is cool to. You never know what history you are going to learn...sorry drbill I am not calling you history by any means :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom