Jan 8th - 14th Cozumel Trip Report - BlueXTsea/Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Infantry_169

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We've been back for awhile now, long enough to recover and reflect on our first ever dive trip to Cozumel. We dove with BlueXTsea and I will definitely recommend them and dive with them again in the future.

The first three days were literally blown out of the water by Norte's. Christi tried to get my wife and I on a Aldora boat, but they were full and the dive site itself was beyond our experience levels. So, we instead used the time for a little R&R, shopping and to obtain our Nitrox certifications. Finally the weather gods smiled upon us and we got to do what we came for and that is dive. The water temperatures were around 78-79 degrees and the seas fairly calm. The air temperature during the surface intervals was a little colder I guess than is the norm - I heard one of the maid say it was the coldest period of her life :) - but nothing major in my book. Some of the sites we dove included Chankanaab, Paradise Reef, Mountains of Dalila and the Santa Rosa wall.

We saw a lot of sea creatures and other life which was very beautiful. This pleased my wife a great deal. However, our main goal soon became mastering some of the more important fundamentals of diving, chief among them -buoyancy. Our DM for our stay was Arturo. He is a very knowledgeable and patient instructor and I would not hesitate to recommend him. The progress we made in our diving with his instruction was phenomenal to say the least. He never got bored teaching, or impatient with our mistakes - yes there were many - and his ability to find a way to make the intangible tangible is incredible. He is also a regular MacGyver when working to solve equipment problems and once when couldn't, he had the boat Captain call in to request a replacement be brought out to us by the other boat. In fact all of the BlueXTsea staff were very courteous and professional, going above and beyond to make our trip both enjoyable and highly rewarding.

We stayed at the Casa Mexicana. Simply put it was incredible and we will definitely stay there again. You cannot go wrong with this hotel. The hotel is immaculately clean and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful on most any matter you can think of. The rooms are spacious and include everything you need for a comfortable stay: bed, bathroom, tv and desk. Wireless internet is free of charge so bring your laptop. Otherwise they have a computer room in the lobby. The rooms were always well maintained and when we returned from our dives the maid had always made an animal from towels on our bed. The stay includes breakfast and it is absolutely tremendous. Eggs to order and all the other traditional breakfast staples, also fresh fruit, and an assortment of other delicious goodies await your culinary appetites. You can't beat the price and the location, walking distance to most everything in town. The pool isn't luxurious but if you are reading this then you are a diver and if you want a grand pool with a waitstaff bringing you drinks, then well this isn't your place, but if you want a nice clean place to crash between dives then check it out. I personally found it more enjoyable than the 5 Star Resort we went to later in the week for a wedding.

Finally, someone on ScubaBoard, which Christi allowed them to remain anonymous , purchased an additional dive for me, to you whomever you are, thanks. :yeahbaby:

Sounds like another Cozaholic among us. Sorry to hear about the Nortes but seems as if you made the best of it.

Did you happen to meet Jaime at the Casa Mexicana? He was the main man at the breakfast buffets and was very entertaining. He made the wife and I speak Spanish to him all week long. We didn't do so well but he was just super nice and provided great service as well.

I second your recommendation of Blue XTSea as I've dived with them on two previous trips and will again in March. Glad you had a good trip.

We were there the week after you, and it was a great trip with great weather glad you had a great trip and two thumbs up for BlueXTsea always makes the trip better:)

Welcome to diving Cozumel and welcome to the Blue XT SEA family :). DH (Michael) just missed you by a week. We have been diving with Christi and her crew 2 to 3 times per year for almost 7 years now and can't agree with your viewpoint more. We are so happy you had a great time ....even with the Norte. But, stuff happens and you definitely made the best of it. Taking the Nitrox course was a fantastic idea. Arturo is a wonderful instructor and perhaps in the future you may want to to the AOW with him. He taught the AOW course to us and we were very pleased. In fact, we already have in our plans to take the Rescue course in June. Arturo will be teaching that as well and we are so looking forward to it.

Again, glad you had a wonderful time and maybe we will dive together one day.

Sue and Mike

I'm glad you enjoyed your first trip to Cozumel. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the wonderful DMs at Blue XT~Sea. When I first started using Christi's shop years ago, Pedro was instrumental in my becoming a much better diver. He's my favorite DM of all time. I've also had the pleasure of diving with Arturo. He's wonderful too and can find the tiniest things you've ever seen (using a magnifying glass).

That's really cool about the additional dive by an anonymous donor. Scubaboarders are the best (with a few exceptions :D).

I'm glad you enjoyed your first trip to Cozumel. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the wonderful DMs at Blue XT~Sea. When I first started using Christi's shop years ago, Pedro was instrumental in my becoming a much better diver. He's my favorite DM of all time. I've also had the pleasure of diving with Arturo. He's wonderful too and can find the tiniest things you've ever seen (using a magnifying glass).

That's really cool about the additional dive by an anonymous donor. Scubaboarders are the best (with a few exceptions :D).

You are so right Martha about diving and learning from Pedro and Arturo... I certainly can say that I learn something new every time I dive with these two gentlemen. I can't say how many times I find myself doing or at the least saying to myself..."What would Pedro do" or "Pedro and Arturo told me to or showed me how....whatever" Both divemasters are very professional and very patient and if divers are open to learning they will be totally amazed how their skills will improve.

On another note....when are we diving together again....how long has it been ??? Maybe we will see you in June ?? Wouldn't that be a blast ??? Take Care... Sue

I am not sure if you know about Christie and BXT Sea...when the hurricane hit a few years back, Christie opened her home to any diver that was stuck, didn't matter if you booked with her or not, you were welcome. And she fed everyone for days on end! She was truly generous and kind. I know other dive operations helped out but I think Christi went above and beyond. Okay, I need to back to Cozumel and thank her personally.

On another note....when are we diving together again....how long has it been ??? Maybe we will see you in June ?? Wouldn't that be a blast ??? Take Care... Sue

I would love to dive together again (it's been way too long)... unfortunately it looks like we'll miss each other again this time :depressed:... we'll be in Cozumel over Spring break and then Bonaire at the end of May, beginning of June. If you plan on making another trip later on in the year, let me know and maybe I can twist Dan's arm for another trip. :banana:

I would love to dive together again (it's been way too long)... unfortunately it looks like we'll miss each other again this time :depressed:... we'll be in Cozumel over Spring break and then Bonaire at the end of May, beginning of June. If you plan on making another trip later on in the year, let me know and maybe I can twist Dan's arm for another trip. :banana:

Sounds good Martha....maybe we can plan a Blue XT SEA group trip...now that would be FUN !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom