Jelly fish stings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on several dive boats that use Windex window cleaner for stings. I think it contains both vinegar and ammonia. It also comes in a convenient spray bottle which means it can be applied without touching the effect area so you don't set off the remaining nematocysts.

The only reason people recommend urine is because it is just an old wives tale. It can actually trigger the release of more of the nematocysts. Forgot to mention this earlier but once you are stung time and soaking in hot water is really the only thing that is going to help you. The vinegar, alcohol or what ever over-the-counter medicine you use will only prevent the triggering of the remaining nematocysts. Do NOT use vinegar on Man of War stings. They aren't true jellies and vinegar will cause a LOT more pain. Use sea water to rinse it off and get to some hot water asap. Don't use fresh water because it can also trigger remaining nematocysts.

Carry a small squeeze bottle (ketchup bottle from the store) in your dive bag (if you bring your dive bag to the site) filled with simple distilled vinegar and you should be good to go.

Barring that, move to Alaska, even if you get hit by the Lion's Mane, the water is so cold that if you do get hit in the tiny portion of your face that is exposed, it's numb and by the time it's not numb anymore, the stinging will have worn off. Ciao!

I got a small sting on face while diving in Seward over the summer... but with the water around 38-40 degrees, didnt notice until I got back on the boat and had a small red spot where it got me. Gotta love the Alaska diving!!!

windex worked fine for me

i've gotten stung by man-o-war while surfing which is prettty gnarly to say the least and many other stings from different types of jellies. Vinegar is the best unless you don't mind getting pissed on even still vinegar works better no doubt

Back
Top Bottom