Jellyfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick, I have checked DAN and there is no reference of Papain to be the cause of death, it was an allergic reaction following the stings that caused a fatal shock to the victim. If there is any more on this I would l like to know.

On a side note a pressure immobilization technique to isolate the venom and O2 might have helped and If possible, a shot of injectable epinephrine (adrenaline) and an oral antihistamine, but here I am only guessing. ANd a lot of boats do not carry the shot. I know of a few DM and Instructors and some remote operators but in general it is not available. So pack some oral antihistamines and the life you save may be your own (to coin a phrase)

If you want to check out DAN here is the link. Also the DAN HMLI is a great course on dealing with First Aid & marine life encounters.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=96

Back
Top Bottom