Jet fins extremely painful at top of foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jet fins are crap. not sure how gue/wkpp/DIR settled on that as the defacto fin for dir diving way back when.

i use turtle fins which have a foot pocket designed by a thinking human brain and not by whatever idiot designed the jetfin for scubapro
david rhea even says in push for the connection that guys have to take their fins off in the wakulla habitat because their fins dont fit. david rhea of gue, wkpp and scubapro :p

jet fins are crap. not sure how gue/wkpp/DIR settled on that as the defacto fin for dir diving way back when.

i use turtle fins which have a foot pocket designed by a thinking human brain and not by whatever idiot designed the jetfin for scubapro
david rhea even says in push for the connection that guys have to take their fins off in the wakulla habitat because their fins dont fit. david rhea of gue, wkpp and scubapro :p

They didn't. Jet fins have been around since 1965, they have a lot of users and a strong history. DIR just requires black/stiff fins that can back kick and propel people in doubles effectively. Hollis F1s, Jetfins, Slipstreams, Turtles, Rockets, Dvierite EXTs all fit the bill.

You could probably even use a few others, but those are by far the most popular.

i had the same problem (not as bad) with my OMS Slipstreams... went up one spring strap size... been happy ever since

They didn't. Jet fins have been around since 1965, they have a lot of users and a strong history. DIR just requires black/stiff fins that can back kick and propel people in doubles effectively. Hollis F1s, Jetfins, Slipstreams, Turtles, Rockets, Dvierite EXTs all fit the bill.

You could probably even use a few others, but those are by far the most popular.

yes you can. as i said I use turtle fins.
but i've spent enough time around GUE and WKPP divers to see what fins most people are using and i dont get the affinity for jet fins

DIR just requires black/stiff fins

I must have missed the meeting where there was a vote on what color fins are required.

:D

_MG_0192.jpg

Wifebuddy spent a couple of hours at the local pool this morning in her normal wetsuit boots with L and XL Jet fins with the rubber straps to get an idea of the foot pocket size. We'll revisit spring straps later after this is worked out.

XL foot pocket was too wide and she felt lateral movement on the kicks. It's also too deep as her boot slides in enough (even without cinching the rubber strap) that the front lip of the pocket makes contact almost on the shin, in line with her ankle. Cinching the rubber straps reduced the boot movement a little bit but the position of the pocket on her foot didn't feel good. I'm not sure how much lateral movement is too much but, for now, these are getting returned.

L worked pretty well. Foot pocket is snug on its own and the rubber strap was adjusted to not put too much pressure. Huge improvement over using the spring strap with this size fin.

Had exactly the same problem. I thought it was the fin. It was not. The problem was the spring strap. I didn't suspect the spring strap since it was a snug fit and didn't hurt when I put the fins on. But they were a bit tight.
Then I saw some spring straps in a shop on sale. I changed to a larger size spring strap and it was night and day even on heavy finning against strong currents and doubles. Do not change fins until you try the next larger size spring strap.
i had the same problem (not as bad) with my OMS Slipstreams... went up one spring strap size... been happy ever since
This was definitely the problem with her original setup. L fins with 8" strap didn't work at all. Maybe going to 10" is what we'll need to do eventually.

When I go to our LDS to return the XL Jet fins, I'm going to pick up a pair of Turtles. Seems like XL Turtles correspond closest to what size she needs. The little curve on the top lip of the foot pocket looks like it would alleviate these issues.

Might be helpful to ask the local community if there's anyone with the same foot size/weight/build etc and maybe you can borrow someones fins for a weekend.
Yeah, I'm going to do this as well. Anywater is really good about letting us try out multiple sizes in the pool, so we're going with that for this week. I'm for sure going to ask around for the ocean weekend.

yes you can. as i said I use turtle fins.
but i've spent enough time around GUE and WKPP divers to see what fins most people are using and i dont get the affinity for jet fins

they are cheap on used market. they last forever as well. If my current pair broke, I will probably look for something else. Otherwise, I don't see a reason to change. Another reason for Jets is the weight. DIR says not to use ankle weight, so heavy fins help control the platform, especially with double and drysuit

---------- Post added July 16th, 2015 at 03:06 PM ----------

If you can determine the length of spring strap, give piranhna spring strap a try
Pro Pin Type Fin Strap MEDIUM Size "Sold as SINGLES"

I use the 12" version (large) of these. I think it works better than Halcyon or XS. The large rubber piece help the straps stay on your ankles even if it is not super tight. The pull loop is pointing at >45 degree, so nothing stick out when you are diving. the attachment hardware to the fin is also more secured than the H straps

Had exactly the same problem. I thought it was the fin. It was not. The problem was the spring strap. I didn't suspect the spring strap since it was a snug fit and didn't hurt when I put the fins on. But they were a bit tight.

In my case, I used the medium jetfins with the original rubber strap first, then I went to spring straps, same problem with both, and neither were too tight. I have tiny feet and the foot pocket was too wide, so I also had lateral movement while finning. It gets uncomfortable fast, and then gets a little painful over multiple dives.

For some it may be the size, depth and/or shape of the foot pocket, for some it may be a too tight or loose strap/spring strap or the weight of the fin, etc.

harden the **** up - scox

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom