Jet pilots and O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barbara

Reaction score
I know that this has not got much to do with diving but perhaps someone here knows the answer to this.

Do jet pilots wear masks that deliver pure oxygen? Also they say on commercial flights that in case of loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop down. Why is it necessary to breathe pure oxygen in this case why not just regular air that is at the right pressure and with the normal content of O2?

hi Barbara,

Actually aviation medicine and diving medicine are very closely related, I have a doctor friend that does both.

As you ascend through the atmosphere, the partial pressure of O2 drops, at around 5000m 15,000´ you only have about half an atmosphere of pressure, so therefore you have the equivalent of half the amount of o2, this is why climbers start using oxygen at the south col of Everest about this height.

The human at sea level inhales about 21% oxygen and exhales about 16% which is why CPR works. With acclimatisation, you can get used to as low as 9-12% before you die from hypoxia. Obviously if you have a rapid change, such as a cabin de-pressurisation, there is no time for acclimatization so the effect is much more of a shock. In diving, because the change is as rapid as changing a regulator, the percentage of O2 rarely is set below 16% (except in extraordinary circumstances) so that a diver can effectively breathe the gas all the way to the surface without risking sever hypoxia.

The altitude of commercial jet liners is far higher than 5000m, which is why they have the emergency O2. Their cabin pressure is usually about 2400m 8000', so in the event of cabin decompression, there is less chance of decompression illness (I have heard), and there is some acclimatization to a lower ppo2.

The O2 that they use is also the highest quality oxygen and has been filtered and dried even more than regular medical oxygen so it cant have any condensation even at very low temperatures.

I am pretty sure that there are some pilots on this board that could fill in some of the gaps I have left out.

Good question though.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is... at home in my study. A very interesting book that I have been reading about the limits of human endurance. There was a whole chapter that discussed this in detail. Lemee get back to you. :)

In airliners, you get pure O2 at ambient pressure. That will probably give you about .4 atmospheres of O2 at 33,000 feet. At sea level, you get about 21% O2, or .21 atmospheres.

If the masks delivered air at ambient pressure, what would be the point? You already have plenty of that around you. The problem is that at that altitude, the partial pressure of oxygen is going to be less than .1 atmospheres, which is equivalent to breathing air at the surface which is only 10% O2. That's not enough... if you're breathing pure O2 at that altitude instead of mostly N2/some O2, you'll be much better off.

As the altitude increases the partial pressure of the oxygen decreases. Above about 14,000 ft. there is not enough PPO2 to keep a pilot fully functional for more than about 30 minutes. As the altitude gets higher, the time that it takes to incapacitate a pilot or passenger shinks drastically to a few minutes around 25,000 ft and if a plane were to suffer a sudden decompression at 35,000 feet a pilot would be concious for only about 7 seconds. At and above that altitude at least one of the flight crew is required to remain on oxygen at all times as there would not be adeuqate time to don a mask if a rapid decompression occurred. This is essentially what happened with Paine Stuart's chartered Lear jet several years ago. The passengers and flight crew were suddenly incapacited and the plane flew on by itself with the bodies on board before crashing a few hours later in South Dakota.

At those altitudes you also need a pressure demand mask that can maintain a bit more positive pressure than ambient pressure. And even then you are just buying more time. At altitudes much more than 35,000 feet even pure O2 in a pressure demand mask is not adequate to prevent hypoxia as the partial pressure is too low to allow for an adequate transfer of 02 in the lungs. Above 35,000-37,000 ft either a partial or full pressure suit is needed for anything other than short exposures in an unpressurized cabin. So in the event of a rapid cabin depressurization at high altitude the drill is to make a very fast emergancy descent to a lower altitude where the passengers and crew can breath.

The standard cabin pressure altitude of 8,000 ft is sort of a compromise. It is an altitude that nearly everyone can tolerate without oxygen for extended periods and the yet it reduces the pressure differential that needs to be maintained by the pressure cabin. The higher the pressure in the cabin, the more structure is required to maintain the integrity of the cabin, and more structure means more weight and less payload.

The designer of a commercial airliner needs to design the cabin to withstand the stress of a pressure differential sufficient to maintain an 8,000 ft cabin altitude at the maximum cruising altitude of the aircraft. In some turbocharged and pressurized light aircraft where weight is a much more serious concern, a pressure differential of only a couple psi may be used to keep structural weight to a minimum and the cabin altitude may be well over 8,000 feet when the aircraft is cruising at 20,000-25,000 ft.

Climbers also often use oxygen but due to the need to carry everythingup the mountian it is reseved for use only on and near the summits of very high mountains. Climbers who are scaling very high peaks also acclimiate themselves over a period of several weeks. There bodies adapt to the lower PPO2 and a properly acclimated climber can function for fairly long periods up to a maximum of about 25,000-28,000 feet where a non acclimated person would lose conciousness in a minute or two even at rest.

Above 28,000, even a well acclimated climber is just going to be slowly dying and at high risk of pulmonary and cerebral edema as well as hypoxia. At best a climber can tolerate that altitude for 2-3 days.

Ok, first hand from someone who's flown on a CF-18 (my wife.) Jet pilots breathe a mix of air and O2 that is adjusted according to altitude to stay in a breathable range, sufficient to breathe but not enough to cause toxicity problems. Above 11,500 metres or so they are actually breathing pure oxygen under positive pressure.

As already mentioned the general reason is to make sure the partial pressure of oxygen is high enough in to support life.

Normal air at ambient pressure has too low a partial pressure to support life at an altitude greate than 8800 meters or so. (Coincidentally the height of Mt Everest.) If you increased the pressure enough to bring up the pp02 you would likely damage your lungs from the pressure difference. By using pure oxygen you get the higher percentage at a lower pressure. Above 14,000 meters or so even pure oxygen is insufficient, and around 19,000 meters you blood starts to boil.

Water vapour also plays a part, as it occupies an increasing amount of space in the alveoli as ambient pressure decreases.

If you want some history, some keywords to search for would be:

Paul Bert (altitude physiology) wrote 'La Pression Barometrique' 150 years ago.
James Glaisher and Henry Coxwell (balloon flight to 11,000 meters possibly).
Sivel, Tissandier, Croce-Spinelle (8000 meters in the balloon Zenith. First fatalities due to hypoxia.)
Blaise Pascal (of course.)

glbirch:
Ok, first hand from someone who's flown on a CF-18 (my wife.) Jet pilots breathe a mix of air and O2 that is adjusted according to altitude to stay in a breathable range, sufficient to breathe but not enough to cause toxicity problems. Above 11,500 metres or so they are actually breathing pure oxygen under positive pressure.

Looks right to me. In my past life I worked on aviation life support gear for Uncle Sams Misguided Children (United States Marine Corps). Specifically with LOX (Liquid Oxygen Conversion systems) and OBOGS (On Board Oxygen Generating Systems). Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics, but I found a very informative link, hope this helps...

http://www-nehc.med.navy.mil/ih/respirator/AltitudeAndO2.htm

http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation/10330/

Jeff

OK ... under normal circumstances, we don't wear O2 masks at all during flight (even above 35000 feet, DA Aquamaster). If a pressurization problem occurs we have a mask that can be donned in a matter of seconds. It will supply an air/O2 mix, or 100% O2 at ambient pressure, or 100% at positive pressure.

As for the passenger "drop down" masks ... they make pure O2 from a chemical reaction as this method is much cheaper and lighter than delivering "air" at near-normal pressure. (the partial-pressure bit explains why you'd need pressurized "air")

All this needs only support us for a short time, as I can bring a 737 from 41000 feet to 10000 feet in just a few minutes without too much discomfort (other than ear-popping)

No mask above 35,000 feet? Really? I'll have to check my FAR's again.

I suppose a rapid decompression takes a little longer in a 737 or other large airliner than in a smaller aircraft, but it still seems a bit careless to me even with a QD mask.

glbirch:
Ok, first hand from someone who's flown on a CF-18 (my wife.) Jet pilots breathe a mix of air and O2 that is adjusted according to altitude to stay in a breathable range, sufficient to breathe but not enough to cause toxicity problems.
How would you get toxicity problems at altitude (35,000+), even on pure O2?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom