Jet pilots and O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gj62:
How would you get toxicity problems at altitude (35,000+), even on pure O2?

Diluter demand systems use less than 100% O2 at lower altitudes and automatically adjust the percent based on altitude.

On many systems you can also over ride them and select 100% O2. 100% O2 can do wonders for your night vision.

gj62:
How would you get toxicity problems at altitude (35,000+), even on pure O2?

As DA Aquamaster said, it would be running on pure O2 at lower altitudes that could cause a problem.

DA A .... above 25000 feet, IF one of the two pilots leaves the cockpit, then the remaining pilot must wear a mask while he's alone up there. (Above 41000 one pilot would have to wear it all the time, but that's a moot point since the aircraft isn't certified to fly above 41000 anyway.)

As for O2 toxicity ... even at sea-level, breathing pure O2 would only give you a ppO2 of 1.0 ... toxicity isn't really a problem till you reach 1.4-1.6 ppO2 (as in breathing pressurized air/O2 at depth.)

It could be just because I don't smoke and have good lungs (between running and diving, they get lots of exercise), but I've never noticed any night vision improvement from sucking on O2... and about 90% of my flying is done at night.

IslandHopper:
As for O2 toxicity ... even at sea-level, breathing pure O2 would only give you a ppO2 of 1.0 ... toxicity isn't really a problem till you reach 1.4-1.6 ppO2 (as in breathing pressurized air/O2 at depth.)

Just guessing here, but as the system on a combat aircraft provides oxygen under postive pressure (IE at greater than 1 atmosphere) the pilot in theory could be breathing O2 at a ppO2 of greater than 1.0? Not sure how pressurized the system is, but I suppose I could wander over to a hanger and ask one of the techs who service the system if I really wanted to know.

When delivered at positive pressure, it's done to prevent smoke/fumes from entering the mask/goggles (there are smoke-goggles integrated into the O2 mask). The pressure is not THAT positive, just enough to be greater than ambient.

Could be different on military fighter jets, i suppose, but I doubt it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom