Jim Abernathy's Scuba-Adventures Shear Water back in the News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Figured from the get-go it was not shark-related - as far as I know, JASA only does Bahamas shark dives these days; if a person gets chopped up bad over there you're not going to slow-boat them ~70 nm to Palm Beach for treatment. From what I'm told the divers were dropped on the Ana Cecilia to do the Mizpah Wreck Corridor, which is ~1 mile offshore in state waters. The updated info in the article matches what I was told - the deceased signaled he was going to ascend early, left the group, and was found later on the bottom.

As far as the initial post, this was the same thing that happened with the disappearance of a diver off the Shear Water back in 2014 - mishap on a shark-feeding boat, everyone automatically assumes it was shark-related despite little supporting evidence. Look around the A&I forum on this board and it's a litany of things other than sharks getting divers killed.

Don't let teammates surface alone. There are a lot of accidents that have involved deliberate separation of a group of divers with one either calling the dive and ascending alone or deciding to stay longer on a safety stop or deco and something fatally bad happens once they separate.

Don't let teammates surface alone. There are a lot of accidents that have involved deliberate separation of a group of divers with one either calling the dive and ascending alone or deciding to stay longer on a safety stop or deco and something fatally bad happens once they separate.

True, but pretty common place here in my experience. De facto solo diving which is fine by me.
The additional post with info from someone who was there tells a different story
Is this speculation that itz the Shear Water? Info says news chopper noted that but at the dock
Its prolly the Deep Obsession which Jim doesnt own anymore.
Correct me if I am wrong

May he rest in peace

True, but pretty common place here in my experience. De facto solo diving which is fine by me.
The additional post with info from someone who was there tells a different story
Is this speculation that itz the Shear Water? Info says news chopper noted that but at the dock
Its prolly the Deep Obsession which Jim doesnt own anymore.
Correct me if I am wrong

May he rest in peace
In the original chopper video that was linked, the blue-hulled boat pulling in with EMS standing by on the dock clearly had the name "Shear Water" on the transom.

condolences to the divers family, friends and colleagues......

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom