Jim Borges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
A few years ago I had the pleasure of teaching Scuba to a wonderful and jovial man. His Hawaiian heritage was quite evident and he always smiled and instilled a feeling of pleasantness to all around him.

Today I learned that he crossed to the other side. After a courageous battle with cancer the dragon finally won. Our prayers and thoughts go out to his new bride Carolyn.

My heart is saddened but I know that now he dives the celestial reef.
Travel well Jim - Save us a place. Shaka brudda!!

Tommy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 1:49 PM
To: Tom
Subject: Jim Borges

Hi Tom,

I recently received word that Jim Borges passed away on February 7th. He had been battling leukemia for over a year and as of last Christmas thought his illness was in remission, but three weeks ago suffered a relapse and died suddenly. He met a lady named Carolyn last July when he moved to Arizona and married her on November 21st. I spoke with her the Sunday before last and she told me that Jim wanted a traditional Hawaiian funeral.

Since the seas are too rough to allow the small dugout canoes to go out to spread his ashes in the sea this time of the year, the service will probably take place in May or June. She gave me her contact information and welcomes contact from anyone who knew Jim and would like to pass along their condolences and memories of him. I believe he was in at least one of your classes and thought you might remember him and may be able to think of some others who might like to know what has become of him.

Pat

I was in the middle of doing a heartfelt obituary for my fathers' memorial announcement when I came across this post.

My dad, Jim, LOVED scuba diving. There was no where else he'd rather be, than scuba-diving.

I'm the eldest of his 4 children and even now, nearly 2 months after his passing, we're still taking this very hard. "Magically" coming across a post like this makes me so proud of him. Even though he passed at an early age, he accomplished much that he wanted to.

Thank you for saying such nice things about my dad. The memorial will be at Sharks Cove, Oahu- June 12. You are more than welcome to attend.

Mahalo nui loa,
Leslie

(kimiko02@cox.net)

There is nothing to say about your dad but nice things. I'm afraid that I cannot travel to Hawaii in June but on that day our entire Montgomery Scuba Family will hoist a toast and celebrate a moment of silence. You should be so proud that he passed his scuba legacy to you. What greater honor can a Dad bestow?

I was so very saddened to hear that Jim was gone. He was such a delight to dive with; it was such a pleasure to share the wonders of the underwater world with him. His infectious enthusiasm made Jim the buddy we all hope for.
High on my list of things to do was to track him down in Hawaii and go diving with him again - when I do get to Hawaii he will be with me on my dives; Jim will live in our hearts forever.
Jim_B.JPG

RIP Jim.
I miss you.
Leslie, we are keeping you and Jim's entire family in our prayers.
Rick †

Even though I didn't know him (only through this thread), I thought this would be appropriate:

Aloha oe, farewell to thee,
Thou charming one who dwells among the bowers
One fond embrace, before I now depart
Until we meet again, until we meet again

Aloha, Jim

WOW- I'm so unbelievably touched by this! Thank you for the song....thank you for the pic...thank you for the nice words. I would like to use some of this thread for his memorial (if that is alright w/you). I'll be making an online obituary & guest book for everyone to write something to him.

He was so proud of himself when he got scuba certified. He loved the ocean, almost as much as he loved the friends he met along his journey. He told me that best time he ever had, was when he learned to scuba & the people he met at that time and those he's been diving with were some of the best people he's ever met. I couldn't agree more.

My dad had a pleasant aura about him. He befriended everyone & was pleasant to those who would cross him.

Thank you, fellas- for being his friend and for all of the kind words you wrote. I love you guys for it!

Mahalo,
Les

You're very welcome, Leslie. I thought I had the lyrics in Hawaiian, but I guess they were the English translation instead. The sentiment is all the same, however. I would be honored if you would like to include my contribution to your dad's memorial. Even though I never met your dad, just by what I've read here today, I felt like I had known him forever. Mahalo!

I absolutely will! I appreciate your contribution. WE, appreciate your contribution. I don't even know how to scuba (YET), butI still find myself coming back to this board to see what else has been written about him. You guys are the closest Ive come to still feeling his presence. You comfort me.

Thank you again!

Leslie

On Saturday June 7 we will gather at Vortex Spring near Ponce de Leon, Florida.

In conjunction with our class checkout dives we always have a grand barbecue and its legend is infamous amongst local divers. Sort of a southern luau of the finest kind. Folks with a common interest socialize and form life-long bonds of friendship. More than once your dad joined this ritual.

At exactly 7 pm Central Daylight Time we will propose a prayer, a toast and a minute of silence to honor your father. If you will pause at that moment I am sure you can feel our collective emotions. We express our sadness at losing Jim's presence in this life. At the same time we celebrate with joy knowing that he dives the celestial reef and hope he saves a place for us.

We also realize that your father - our friend - ramains forever in our fondest memories.

Live large little one - you have a legacy to fulfill.

Back
Top Bottom