Joined the darkside (BPW)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I did it. I purchased my first BPW. I did quite a bit of research on SB before purchasing my system (and I still made some mistakes). Thanks to everyone for all the posts about BPW.

A little Background. I got certified about three months ago. At the time, I purchased a ScubaPro KnightHawk, and my fiancee at the time purchased a ScubaPro LadyHawk. To be honest, I really liked the KnightHawk a lot. It was a great fitting BC. I wouldn't have bothered upgrading a 3 months old BC if it was not for the fact that my little girl (12 years old) is getting OW certified and needs a BC. So she inherited my KnightHawk and regulator, and I had to get myself a new BC and regulator. (don't you feel bad for me?)

Anyway - I ended up with a Dive Rite Transplate SS. I got the Trek wing, but I think I am going to exchange it for Venture wing since I will be diving singles for the foreseeable future. I got the the 16lb weight system although I am wondering if I should have gone with a 32lb system. See my other thread here regarding the weight system. I also got the air integrated inflator (I know - I will die).

A lot of people on this board seems to like the DSS or other brands. I chose the Dive Rite system because that's what my LDS carries, and I wanted to support them. I have an awesome LDS. Beside - I didn't hear anything bad about the DR system. The store gave me a great price on the BC, regulator, and dive computer. I could have probably gotten everything cheaper online, but the time they took to fit me was worth paying a little extra! I am keeping my old computer (UWATEC Smart Com) and my little girl is getting the new Oceanic Veo 100NX.

Anyway - just wanted to share the news with this group since I have learned so much reading this forum! Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge!

Minh

reefugee:
A lot of people on this board seems to like the DSS or other brands. I chose the Dive Rite system because that's what my LDS carries, and I wanted to support them. I have an awesome LDS. Beside - I didn't hear anything bad about the DR system. The store gave me a great price on the BC, regulator, and dive computer. I could have probably gotten everything cheaper online, but the time they took to fit me was worth paying a little extra! I am keeping my old computer (UWATEC Smart Com) and my little girl is getting the new Oceanic Veo 100NX.
Minh
Congrats you won't regret the choice. It's not the 'darkside' either - it's a better way to stabilize you bottle. The diveright plate is a great choice, but it doesn't really matter, ANY plate is a good choice there is no 'innovation' involved ( with 1 or 2 exceptions) the DSS is almost NO different from the Koplin plate. the same with wings one dives just about the same as the other. :censored:

I do want to add that the size does matter somewhat. You don't want too small, any more than you want too large, and a centered inflater is better for doubles, an offset one is better for single.

Good choice , have the LDS swap out the pull dump for an elbow and your set. BTW you will never look back.

Agree with good choice....agree too there are many good choices out there...it is just preference a lot. I have the DR plate and like it. I wont even bring up I use the delux harness with death releases!!

terrasmak:
Good choice , have the LDS swap out the pull dump for an elbow and your set. BTW you will never look back.

Leave the pull dump in there. It never causes any trouble,it's convient, and 'having to' remove it is just another example of ....

Just another example of what? Being prudent and removing another possible point of failure? Why not just get rid of the darn thing--they're a complete waste.

SparticleBrane:
Just another example of what? Being prudent and removing another possible point of failure? Why not just get rid of the darn thing--they're a complete waste.
Oh Oh...I feel my nose twitching.

Wow - didn't know my thread was going to cause a flame war.

Just a quick comment: I am going to keep the pull dump valve for now unless there is a overwhelming agreement to get rid of it. I had a pull dump valve on my ScubaPro Knighthawk, and I really liked it. If the dump valve lasts me 3 years before I have to replace it, then it's worth it.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, and I do take it into consideration. But ultimately, I have to make a decision that I think I am comfortable with. For example, I know A LOT of people here don't like the air intergrated octos - but I like it. Who knows - maybe later I might realize that I don't like it as much as I thought, and switch it out to a regular octo. But as long as my mistakes don't kill me, I consider it a learning lesson.

Jepuskar - darn, I thought a BP/W was going to the darkside. I guess now I have to get a rebreather. :eyebrow: Does an air-integrated wrist computer could as the darkside too? (BTW - I was kidding about going to the darkside).

I used to dive with a German guy. Nice fellow, and had a nice ScubaPro BC with a pull dump, and two other exhausts on the BC. One one particular dive, he was having a lot of trouble with his buoyancy. He was very experienced and had EXCELLENT buoyancy ordinarily. So he asked me to look at his BC. On examination, both the pull dump, and his right shoulder exhaust were leaking slowly.

He maintined his gear quite well, but the site we were at often had particulate in the water, and it was a sandy site. Apparently, some had gotten lodged in those two exhausts and were causing problems. I assume the lower left exhaust didn't have this issue was because it was being used often and air was knocking any sediment out of it. We tried that above and below water with the other two with no success.

So, is this a reason to remove the additional "failure point"? I don't know. Two of my three wings didn't come with a pull dump. The third one did and it's still on there. I will remove it at some point, but it's the wing I use least at this point, and I can use that $50 elsewhere.

Best of luck.

reefugee:
Wow - didn't know my thread was going to cause a flame war.

Just a quick comment: I am going to keep the pull dump valve for now unless there is a overwhelming agreement to get rid of it. I had a pull dump valve on my ScubaPro Knighthawk, and I really liked it. If the dump valve lasts me 3 years before I have to replace it, then it's worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom