Joint stiffness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandmanbm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just received my OW cert and enjoyed the dives a lot.

Unfortunately I've noticed that I now seem to get stiffness in my right knee that I didn't before. The stiffness is not constant, but happens after driving for a while or being at the computer for awhile.

The only open water dives I've done were the certification dives. Both were within all the safety limits, depth was never more than 30ft. Could it be DCS?

I'm 31, a smoker and in 'fair to good' health ( a bit overweight ).

I tore the medial collateral ligament in this knee about 15 years ago, though this is not always where I feel the stiffness.

I may be paranoid but the stiffness began at the same time as the dive.

I am planning to see my doctor, but I don't know his experience with dive problems.

Could this be DCS related?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You don't say how much time has gone by since your OW dives, but the intermittent nature of the symptoms argues against DCS, as do the shallow depths.

More likely, the strain of carrying the gear may have stressed the knee, especially if you had any cartilage damage at the time of the original injury (common with medial collateral tears).

I second what TSandM said.

I have called DAN in the past before I was a member, and they were happy to offer advice. I would not hesitate to call them if I had any doubts. I do agree that the weight of the gear could and maybe the act of finning may have simply irritated your old injury. For me, aching after dives is normal. :)

Thanks for the replies.

It's been about a month and a half since the dives, I have been nervous to dive again.
I doubted DCS but the timing worried me :D and it's true I haven't really worked the knee harder than normal day-to-day activity in a long time.

Sounds like the gear. Slinging those tanks around can get to you and any chronic joint injuries.

sandmanbm:
I just received my OW cert and enjoyed the dives a lot.

Unfortunately I've noticed that I now seem to get stiffness in my right knee that I didn't before. The stiffness is not constant, but happens after driving for a while or being at the computer for awhile.

First, I'm not a doctor and this isn't medical advice.

I do, however have bad knees, and found that paddle fins tend to tourque my knees (rotate right and left) while I fin up and down, and that split fins like the Twin-Jet do not do this.

When using non-split fins, I'm just about crippled for a day or two after the dive,. With them, there's no pain at all. You might want to borrow a pair from a friend or your LDS and see if that helps.

Terry

TSandM this lady has her stuff together. Everything I've read of hers is right on. So refreshing to see someone so intense on "being in the know"! Way to go TSanM! When I see her name I know its, " yeah what she said " lol.

Bob Vincent:
TSandM this lady has her stuff together. Everything I've read of hers is right on. So refreshing to see someone so intense on "being in the know"! Way to go TSanM! When I see her name I know its, " yeah what she said " lol.
From reading her posts that's the impression I've gotten also.

Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I won't be getting those Jet fins I was shopping for, I'll look at the twin-jets though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom