joint Training Missions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparkyjames

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
last month We just had a joint trainning mision with our local H.A.R.T ( High Angel Rescue Team ) the purpose of this was to see how a joint mission would go should we need to be called out and need the help of the H.A.R.T get our gear to and from the water

and to alow us the chance to get used to the way they need to set up and operate
both teams learnded a lot, and some good Ideas were exchanged, I am not sure I would call the mission a sucess just yet as the H.A.R.T Takes a long time to rope up

our team leader went to the dive site a little while in advance and placed Recovery Dan ( Our Trainning Dummy ) in the water in advance of the Teams ariveing on scene, this was at the base of a water fall just out side of town

then called us to roll the Dive Rescue Van, We arived on scene and turnded our gear along with Kevin one of our more experienced divers over to the H.A.R.T and moved to the base of the falls

they riged there lilnes and lowered the gear compleate with Kevin to us and we made our search and recovered Dan from the water and placed him in the basket to be lifted to the top of the falls. when we first arived there could have been a chance that a victom could have been saved as Dan was in the water less then one hour when the dive team arived but by the time we got our gear to to the water there would have been no chance for a recovery.

So how offetn do you guys train with other S&R Teams in your area?

it was decided we need to train together more offten but both teams learnded a lot

Sparky

293558578_f852b38cd4_m.jpg

Speaking of changing hats
I guess we are going to be going through a sort of Search and Rescue academy, along with the land based Search and Rescue Teams

Our team leader believes and I must say I agree with him that if a P.S.D Team is the elite of Search and Rescue then we should be trained to help the ground based searchers as well,
and if need be respond to the call outs they receive and lend a hand in any way they may need, rather it be in joining in with the search or just something that would free up people for them to put in the filed.

I think this is a grate idea, if we ever need a hand they are always there to help in any way we ask of them, we are also hoping this would remove some of the miss communications that we have had and when we are working together, it should allow us to be more efficient.

As it stands right now the Search and Rescue and the H.A.R.T are run separate from the U.R.T this will still be the case but the ideas is to work more closely together with training and call outs alike .

I cannot help but think this will make us a stronger team in the end and allow us to provide a better service
To our community, which is why, we all got in to search and rescue in the first place.

Sparky

I couldn’t agree more with joint training. The more the better. BUT, PSD’s are not the “Elite” of Search & Rescue.

Our expertise is water and we are trained to do a specific job, which we hopefully do well.

A dog handler may be the “Elite” team if you have a missing person in say a wooded area.

The ground team may be the “Elite” team if the dogs fail to locate the victim.

The SWAT team may be the “Elite“ team if you have a hostage situation.

A Snowmobile or ATV team may be the “Elite” team for searching vast areas.

Each team may be the “Elite” team in a given situation, but no team is the “Elite” team in the whole picture of Search and Rescue.

The truly “ELITE TEAM” that is out there has no body running a close second. They seem to get forgotten in the heat of things.

It’s the volunteer Auxiliary Team that responds anytime it looks like any S&R team will have an extended operation.

They get up, go grocery shopping, get out to the scene and get us hot “GOOD” meals before we start getting hungry. Not only that but they show up with a portable “Can” on a trailer.

When the call goes out to them each has a job and they get it done. They have things already set up with local stores so they can run and get out quickly.

Someone goes and gets the bus, someone does this and others do that but until you have seen them respond you can not appreciate them to the fullest.

And so many times they show up just as we find our target and are canceled. They go home and get ready to do it all over again the next time their called.

They are a part of the Sheriff’s Department but are not directly funded. We get them vehicles, which our shop maintains but most of the other equipment and the FOOD come from fund-raisers they do.

In my world they are the “Elite” S&R team. Not the Divers, Ground pounder, Swat or other teams who can’t operate when thirsty, have empty stomachs and need to Poo.

So tell your team leaders they can quit beating on their chests and take a closer look at the real “Elite Team”. :wink:

Gary D.

If you can cross train I'd say go for it but the only thing I'd caution is to make sure your own kitchen is in order first. Alot of PSDers don't train enough as it is. If you add more disciplines into the mix you may dilute the team's effectiveness. I'm not saying that you or your team is one of these (how could I know that?) but the time commitment to maintain PSD proficiency is pretty high; alot of guys can't devote extra time to do more.
You may scare members off.

As Gary says, careful of the "elite" remarks or you may alienate others. Thats how our team behaved in the early years and we're still trying to bust out of that. The PSD is the "dope on a rope". To have a tender that can anticipate the diver's needs and know how different guys dive is what I'd consider elite and a much sought after individual! The guys that rarely miss a practice and get repeated rain/snow/sun exposure to make the diver look good!
We've got a couple of these guys but I wish I had more.

bridgediver:
If you can cross train I'd say go for it but the only thing I'd caution is to make sure your own kitchen is in order first. Alot of PSDers don't train enough as it is. If you add more disciplines into the mix you may dilute the team's effectiveness. I'm not saying that you or your team is one of these (how could I know that?) but the time commitment to maintain PSD proficiency is pretty high; alot of guys can't devote extra time to do more.
You may scare members off.

As Gary says, careful of the "elite" remarks or you may alienate others. Thats how our team behaved in the early years and we're still trying to bust out of that. The PSD is the "dope on a rope". To have a tender that can anticipate the diver's needs and know how different guys dive is what I'd consider elite and a much sought after individual! The guys that rarely miss a practice and get repeated rain/snow/sun exposure to make the diver look good!
We've got a couple of these guys but I wish I had more.

Well put BD.

Gary D.

OK Guys :

First of let me clear one thing up I was useing the term " Elete ' not our team leader
he is not that type and I did not mean it the way it must have come across

What we are trying to do is be there if they need us like they are for us and with out going through there trainning we will not clearly understand there needs,unless we walk a few miles in there shoes

as ii under stand it they are wanting to make the URT a more actrive part of the Search and Rescue Team as a hole . I did not mean to come off like we were pounding on our chests and thinking we were all that.

you gusy bring up a verry good point about that thank you for pointing that out to me

Please dont think I am that way I just chose my words wrong Sorry

I do not think the extra trainning time is a isue. We took a vote as a team and decided this would be a good route to go. even if it means we had to train more.

I am luck to be with a verry comited Team.

sorry I miss led you guys with my coment I wil try to be more carefull in the future

Sparky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom