Joki rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YuchenEasonJiang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

Can someone introduce a few on the Joki rebreather to me? What's the history? Who first made it? Why name Joki? Any training instructor?

In my opinion the joki should be considered more as a diy-rebreather.

It's made by Fred Badier originally. It's really an mccr in the style of what many british cavers diy themselves.
The only person I know of that dives it, and in a double shoulder mounted setup, is Xavier Meniscus.

I don't 'know' Xavier Meniscus, but he is quite well known in Europe for his cave diving records. (286 meter deep cave dive in Font D'estramar)

I'm not sure I've ever heard of courses being available for a joki.

It's not CE rated or rated for anything. It's an msr bladder with a second stage, some oxygen cells, sorb and some pvc-piping with qc-6 adapters to put it bluntly;

There's a facebook page named 'Le recycleur MCCR Joki' managed by Xavier Meniscus about the Joki if you want to find more info.
This site also has some pictures on the joki: Le Joky MCCR

Are we going to see Chinese made copy soon?

That looks quite cool

Hi
I have two of these. A normal one and a "mini".
Of all the Joki(s), I came across, not one is the same as they are more or less made on order.
One of mine has two CLs, the other a single one.
One has an ADV, the other none.
One has dil and oxy in exhale, the other in inhale.
One has cells in the top, the other in the canister.
Both are set as over-the-shoulder-unit, taking place next to a set of double.
Some people use it as a real SM.
Some use an original Airtess dsv, other a Golem SM.
Instructor not needed as it shouldn't be a "first" unit. (Well, I did start rb with a Joki but it is another story, and I wouldn't suggest anybody to do that)
If I remember correctly (don't quote me on that), the Joki started as a Joker, a sccr unit.
I know two people building the "original" unit and another one building an "improved" unit. Indeed, the unit had the reputation of leaking :) But mine are perfect :)
If I were forced to get rid of all my units and keep only one, I would take the Joki as I would always be able to fix any problem I could have.
And if Xavier Meniscus can dive hours and so deep with this machine, I am sure the Joki is good enough for my little dives :) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom