Jon Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for a good way to make a jon line. Some say use the hook, and some say use the bolts becasue the hook can slip out in current. After having my arm almost jerked out of socket in some heavy current I'm looking to build a Jon line. Does anyone have pics (or know where they can be found) on how to do this. And where to pick up the supplies.

I use 1" nylon webbing 10' long. Sew a loop in 1 end and a clip (I use a small SS carabineer with a swing gate) on the other.
Pass the line thru the loop around the anchor line and clip it off to a d-ring on your harness. Hands free deco.

That above mentioned approach is very simple and works well, but with one potential problem. If you are moving up the deco line and are passing other divers, you need to unhook and thread the jon line back through the loop to remove the jon line in order to skip over the diver and his jon line.

To make passing on the deco line easier, you can use a deco hook attached to the end of the jon line. The nice part is that you can add the hook to the end of the jon line when needed, or use the jon line without the hook when you won't be passing anyone.

Deco hooks are available from OMS, Leisure-pro and several other sources.

For the Jon line itself, 1" flat or tubular webbing will work fine. Tubular webbing can be found in most stores selling climbing gear while regular 1" webbing is a standard hardware store item. Same with the clib, any carabiner suitable for attaching to a D-ring can be used.

I just made my own last night.

I'll admit I'm a "gadget" kind of a guy. I like all the accessory items, and even like the idea of fabricating them myself, if I think I can do a better job, or do it cheaper. It makes me more familiar with my own equipment, and sometimes, I'm even able to improve on a design.

I bought some 1" webbing from a local store. I've also seen it advertised on the web for the same price. Along with the webbing, they also had some buckles and other hardware used with the webbing. I bought two buckles and threaded the female end about 18" onto each end, and the male end close to the end. That allowed me to make an adjustable loop in each end, or leave it free for an extended length. The buckles are large enough, I can manipulate them with gloves on. My wife sewed a 1" loop in each end as well to allow the use of a carabiner or other fastener we'll add later.

Total Cost:

12' of 1" webbing at $.30/ft = $3.60
2ea 1" buckles at $1.00ea = $2.00

On to the next project!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom