Juliet trip report (Page one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
Well, their website states unlimited diving. I think I'll print out the page and bring it with. 4 dives is not unlimited. My suggestion is to not say anything, just dive like you want to. If they say something as you're gearing up for your 5th dive, then pull out the printed webpage.

Polly, I'm going on the June 10 trip.

Good idea, I'll print it out too. They'll customize your trip for optimum enjoyment.... 4 dives a day won't do that for me :D

I'll let you know if it works to get us some more dives.

Good luck!

Something else I thought of. They like their tips... :D

Dive-aholic:
Good luck!

Something else I thought of. They like their tips... :D

hmmmm..... tip per dive instead of based on the price of the charter.

That's my plan.

scubapolly:
Woody- do they have fishing and spearfishing gear on the boat or do you need to bring your own? :D
They have all the fishing and spearing gear that you could want. The spearing is snorkel only, however, which may be a Bahamian regulation. I saw the same thing on a couple of other boats. Also. the spearing is pole spear, not spear gun. Again, regulations. ( I wish you guys luck with your campaign for 5 dives/day.) Woody

Re tipping: If this is a crewed charter (and my info about the Juliet says it is) I'd suggest treating it as such. The "industry standard" is to tip as a % of the charter. Yes, it would be more BUT you get so much more.

BTW, I'm generally about as cheap as they come -- but the crew really works their buns off for their guests and they deserve the tip.

Peter Guy:
Re tipping: If this is a crewed charter (and my info about the Juliet says it is) I'd suggest treating it as such. The "industry standard" is to tip as a % of the charter. Yes, it would be more BUT you get so much more.

BTW, I'm generally about as cheap as they come -- but the crew really works their buns off for their guests and they deserve the tip.

We're not trying to jip the crew, I actually would tip more, if I could dive more. 10% for the 4 dives a day, and an extra 5 bucks for each dive over that or something like that.

I go on dive trips to dive, not sit on a boat. The web site says unlimited diving. IF they are limiting us to 4 dives a day, this isn't unlimited. when diving is truely unlimited I have done as many as 7 dives in a 24 hour period.

WOODMAN:
They have all the fishing and spearing gear that you could want. The spearing is snorkel only, however, which may be a Bahamian regulation. I saw the same thing on a couple of other boats. Also. the spearing is pole spear, not spear gun. Again, regulations. ( I wish you guys luck with your campaign for 5 dives/day.) Woody

Bahama law is that all spear fishing, lobstering, and conching must be done free diving (at least that was the law when I was studying there in the late 90s.)

I don't remember spear guns being illegal, but pole spears take a lot less hassle for the inexperienced (they are also a lot cheaper).

I just phoned the Juliet, and it was confirmed that four dives per day is it. BUT, apparently they have been receiving emails today about unlimited diving vs. limited diving and it has them possibly willing to reconsider.

del_mo:
I just phoned the Juliet, and it was confirmed that four dives per day is it. BUT, apparently they have been receiving emails today about unlimited diving vs. limited diving and it has them possibly willing to reconsider.

The Capt/Owner is a reasonable guy (at least I thought so). You may have to sacrifice variety of sites in order to fit more dives each day, if no other passenger opposes to that, I imagine he'll go along with true unlimited dives.
I didn't care for all the rules they had for drift dives and thought I had to miss them since I wasn't going to comply, however, they allowed me (and my husband) to do them our way.

As far as the spear fishing, they have pole spears only because the bahamian law has issues with mechanical trigers. I'm sure a quick search can produce the actual regulation.

Back
Top Bottom