July 1st Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
:D My wife & I are planning to make our first dives in Ontario the July 1st weekend. Between schedules and illnesses it looks very favourable for this weekend! We certified Easter weekend and have only ever dived in tropical waters. We have the gear for Ontario & are just looking to try it out.

We are not looking for a big travel trip.

We are looking for suggestions of places to go for our first dives based on starting from Burlington, (Ontario). It sounds from some of the posts that Humber Bay and Gullivers have lost their visibility.

We are also interested if anyone has any diving plans and would not mind us joining you.

Andrew

If you are just looking for a day trip, you might want to check out www.longpointdivers.com They seem to have a limited charter schedule, but there is some nice diving down there. If they aren't doing anything, they can probably direct you elsewhere.

If you want a weekend thing, head to Tobermory. I know thet Divers Den has "pick-up charters as does G+S typically. ( www.diversden.ca/ and www.gswatersports.com/ ) Lots of info on hotels etc at www.Tobermory.org

BTW, Humber Bay vis has sucked for 25 years. If anything, it is getting better, unless it has been raining. Gulliver's is OK I hear. Octogal on here was diving there the other day, so you might want to PM her. Sherkston might be OK as well... if you just want to get wet...

Longer term, you might want to investigate some of the clubs in the area. Bob's and Rec and Tech can direct you. These clubs offer regular dive days and a supply of buddies. They aren't for everyone, but for a Newbie, it's a great way to get started...

Good luck!

Stoo:
Octogal on here was diving there the other day, so you might want to PM her.

Yes i was indeed at Gullivers last thursday evening, vis sucked! However, i heard from someone else it was not bad this week (10 feetish) I was also at Innerkip on sunday and vis was about the same maybe even better then Gullivers. Just watch out for innerkip and the water quality, make sure you dont swallow anything!! I have have done 8 dives there in the last 2 weeks and i haven't got an ear infection or been sick so...

octgal:
Yes i was indeed at Gullivers last thursday evening, vis sucked! However, i heard from someone else it was not bad this week (10 feetish) I was also at Innerkip on sunday and vis was about the same maybe even better then Gullivers. Just watch out for innerkip and the water quality, make sure you dont swallow anything!! I have have done 8 dives there in the last 2 weeks and i haven't got an ear infection or been sick so...

I strongly suggest that anyone diving in fresh water use something like Swim Ear or similar OTC concotion at the end of every dive day. In a pinch you can make your own by combining 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 isopropyl alcohol (this is off Scuba Doc's website: http://scuba-doc.com/ ).

Have fun,

SubMariner:
I strongly suggest that anyone diving in fresh water use something like Swim Ear or similar OTC concotion at the end of every dive day....
Good advice. I would suggest gargling with a Mai Tai or similar potion, post-dive, to prevent GI problems. Don't bother spitting....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom