"Jumpy/Jiggly" threads/text

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Starting a couple of days ago, I'm getting some threads to be "jumpy" (I don't know how else to describe it). Only the main text "jumps" (jiggles up and down) -- not the ad column on the left hand side nor any part of the screen above the primary ad above the main text. Also, not all threads will be jumpy.

Using an Acer laptop

Windows 7 Home Premium

MS Explorer ver. 9.08.112xxxxx -- 64 bit

Me, too. Using a Dell laptop. Past couple days.

So far so good today.

All I can say is... If you see something weird like that. Try a different browser and see if the problem exists in a different browser like, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. If it doesn't, then it's a browser specific problem. Possibly IE 9 64 bit version over the 32 bit version. Can't say really without more info.

Is is all threads? If not... Which thread?

It sounds like possibly the browser behaving badly with images in the thread or something else. With the scanty information about this, there's not much to go on.

Howard, thanks.

For example, today:

"60-68 degree water" thread in Exposure Suits forum -- starts "jumping" underneath the thread title where the FB icon is.

OTOH, in the "Medications Impact on Residual Nitrogen" thread in the Ask Dr. Deco forum, nothing.

I'm sorry but I'm satisfied with Explorer and not about to junk up my 'puter with more browsers -- there is enough junk on this already. I'll let one of the others who also have the same issue see if it is browser dependent (and I'm sure it is).

---------- Post added April 28th, 2012 at 08:52 AM ----------

BTW Howard, what other information do you want or need?

I am assuming you are talking about this thread? http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/418714-60-68-degree-water-semi-dry-drysuit.html since you didn't post an exact link to the thread... My search turned up this one, so I hope it's the one you mean.

1) Do the issues ONLY happen in the exposure suit forum? Are you seeing a banner for Whites? Could it be the banner from Whites?
2) Is the "jumping" continuous the entire time you're on the page, or just while it's loading?

I made some adjustments to the exposure suit forum. Possibly this helps??

Howard, yes, that is the correct thread. No, there doesn't appear to be a change -- still jiggly. In fact, in looking at it, not ALL lines are jiggling -- for example, in Kevrumbo's post with the link (2nd post in the thread), no jiggling on the line with the link.

The jiggling appears to be almost random -- at least I have yet to discern a pattern. Some threads jiggle, some don't -- I haven't yet started to list which forums do and which don't. Would that help? I also haven't tried to list which banner ads are showing, should I?

---------- Post added April 29th, 2012 at 06:52 AM ----------

BTW, this thread doesn't jiggle nor has it.

Howard, yes, that is the correct thread. No, there doesn't appear to be a change -- still jiggly. In fact, in looking at it, not ALL lines are jiggling -- for example, in Kevrumbo's post with the link (2nd post in the thread), no jiggling on the line with the link.

The jiggling appears to be almost random -- at least I have yet to discern a pattern. Some threads jiggle, some don't -- I haven't yet started to list which forums do and which don't. Would that help? I also haven't tried to list which banner ads are showing, should I?

---------- Post added April 29th, 2012 at 06:52 AM ----------

BTW, this thread doesn't jiggle nor has it.

I'm going to have to assume based on your descriptions that it's a browser related issue, and if you are refusing to even TRY to use a different browser, there's not much more for me to do.

In addition to having Internet Explorer, your browser uses addons (whether you know it or not, they're there)

I can't seem to recreate this problem, and I don't believe it to be any of the banners at this point, since it's not isolated to one specific forum, but rather I believe it's something in someone's signature line, that may be upsetting one of your addons for Internet Explorer.

If you want me to try to fix this problem, I really need more help identifying the issue. I would suggest trying Google Chrome, and then when you've verified the problem exists or not with Chrome, you can always just uninstall chrome, and it's like it never was there. Or maybe even you'll find that Chrome is a better browser than IE and like it... Who knows.

Howard, thank you for your helpful comments and the suggestion to add yet another bloated piece of software to my computer, however, I'll pass on the suggestion to install Chrome (again), Firefox (again) or any other "free" browser.

I did, OTOH, seem to find the culprit -- it is in the line with the Facebook and Google 1 (how's that for irony) links. IF they are on the same line, jiggling; if Google 1 is on a line below the Facebook link, no jiggling.

Here are two examples:

Good Thread:

Good_SB.jpg

Bad Thread:

Bad_SB.jpg

I hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom